New user and Having trouble uploading

All,
I'm a new user of these robots and trying to learn. I bought a AAR Robotkit, installed the software etc. but keep running into errors uploading programs. The error it throws is:
Arduino: 1.6.10 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 1,414 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "COM1": No such file or directory
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I'm sure this is a simple fix on my part but I can't seem to find a good resolution on the FAQ troubleshooting. It says it is an AREXX ARduino robot on the board. I suspect its the board and port configuration but not sure what to select.

(deleted)

From the Tools -> port menu, pick the port corresponding to your board. You can check which port that is by unplugging the board, looking at the menu (it refreshes when you open the tools menu), then plugging it in. The new port is the one to use. Note that the port numbers will change if you plug it into a different USB port, and sometimes for seemingly random reasons (gotta love windows). If no COM port is displayed, drivers are not installed correctly.

As for which board to select, you should consult the documentation from the manufacturer.
It will specify what board to select, as well as whether you need to install a third party board package.

Thanks for the reply. I chose the port that corresponds to the arduino and seemed to answer that but I now have a different error code. As for instruction, the kit actually didn’t come with any. The box states:
AVR-RISC Processor (ATmega328P) but that doesn’t seem to be an option in the Tools menu. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Here’s the error message:
Arduino: 1.6.10 (Mac OS X), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Uno”

Sketch uses 1,414 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.

(deleted)

Spycatcher2k, I reloaded 1.6.9 and switched the board to Duemilenove and......it uploaded the software and started working. I'll play around with it some more with other examples but it seems to work.

Thank a lot for the help on this.