New user - eshield confusion

Hey all, I am currently starting to learn the Arduino. Robotics/programming is mostly a hobby for me (or I want to make it one), I have basic C/C++ Java experience, but this language is new to me, and I generally have very little experience hardware side.

I have an Arduino Duemilanove and an ethernet shield mounted on it. I have the older style shield with no Mac address on the underside of it. Currently I am just trying to upload a sample sketch, actually I am just trying to establish communication with the Arduino at all. I have tried plugging it into my computer direct through Ethernet, I found nothing using ipconfig. Then realizing I need to connect it to a router. I have done this, and when I enter my router's DHCP client table, I do not see the Arduino or ethernet shield listed as a device. I have been trying to use the ChatServer sample sketch and was following the http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoEthernetShield article and received the following error from the compiler: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I assume this is related to the fact that really, I cannot connect to the Arduino at all.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Cheers!

and received the following error from the compiler:

That message does not come from the compiler. The compiler converts C++ code to object files, with a .o extension. Then, the linker connects the .o files together to form a .hex file.

The uploader then uploads this hex file to the Arduino, and expects certain responses. It is the uploader that is failing to get the correct response from the Arduino.

The actual code generally has little to do with the problem. It is almost always a failure to communicate with the Arduino at all that triggers this error. And that is usually due to one of three issues.

One, something else is trying to use the same serial port, so the data is not getting to or from the Arduino.

Two, something on the Arduino is interfering with the Arduino's receipt of the data or its reply. That something is whatever else is connected to pins 0 and 1.

Three, the data is not getting to or from the Arduino because of a bad cable.

Remove the Ethernet shield and whatever else is connected to the Arduino, and try uploading a simple sketch.

Thanks for that, nothing has been placed on the Arduino except for the eshield and there is nothing at pin 0 and 1.

I have tried plugging the Arduino it by USB, I didn't think I had the correct cable but I've just checked again and tried to upload a basic sketch via USB. I still get the same error code with trying to upload the Blink sample sketch.

Is it possible my Arduino is defective?

Is it possible my Arduino is defective?

Or that you have a defective cable or that you have the wrong board selected or a million other possibilities.

When you get this error message, you also get a link to the trouble shooting section. Have you bothered?

Hey, thanks for the reply. I did try to reinstall the drivers and that fixed the problem. So it now works with a sample sketch. However it still doesn't show up on the DCHP list on my router with the eshield. I wasn't aware there was a troubleshooting section, I'll check that out thanks.

Cheers.