new user with upgrade issues

Hi,

I just got the arduino yun a couple weeks back. Its been kind of difficult going. When I first got it I could find its address (dynamically allocated) by looking at the routers web-interface panel. The address would usually be 192.168.0.12, but not always... I would get the yun web interface if I typed the ip address into my web browser (on my mac which runs 10.10.2), but I would not connect if I tried http://arduino.local. I searched the forums and found that upgrading yun was recommended, so I followed the instructions , but ever since the yun does not show up on the router, and I can't see the web interface. Also ssh root@192.168.0.12 fails.

I'm able to make a serial connection, and can upload a sketch. Blink clearly appears to work...

What am I doing wrong?

OK. Thanks!

Jesse

Are you trying to connect via wifi ? Could you connect it via Ethernet cable to the router, and try the Telnet SSH and the web interface.

Upload the YunSerialTerminal sketch, then open the serial monitor and press the YUN_RST button.

Please post here the output of the sketch, so we can see if the linux side boots correctly.

@jessel

before you hit the YUN_RST, you should take 30 seconds to read Resetting the processors (AR9331, WiFi, and 32U4)

Jesse

OK, I can see the yun via ethernet, both web access and ssh interface work. I tried wifi again and I cannot see the yun. Also, even though I can access yun web interface via ethernet, I can’t access via http://arduino.local perhaps this is an issue with my network settings. Still even if thats the case I’m not sure where to look, there is no firewall set up at this point, and I tried using 8.8.8.8 for DNS…

I’ve attached the output I see in the serial terminal when I reboot, since its too long to insert here.

Thanks!

output.txt (11.6 KB)

@jessel,

Okay. The good news is that your Yun is working properly. It appears you set the Yun to connect with your local (home) network when you first got it.

The file you upload is the “boot log” to your Yun. Starting at [  38.220000] you can see the OS starting up the Wifi. All the lines that start with cfg80211: is output from the Wifi driver. However, after that we should see the “bootup script” assigning the IP address. It does not. This means your Yun may have gone back to the factory default.

If it does set the Wifi, you should see something like this:

[   54.570000] wlan0: authenticate with 78:f5:fd:8b:bc:d1
[   54.570000] wlan0: send auth to 78:f5:fd:8b:bc:d1 (try 1/3)
[   54.580000] wlan0: authenticated
[   54.610000] wlan0: associate with 78:f5:fd:8b:bc:d1 (try 1/3)
[   54.610000] wlan0: RX AssocResp from 78:f5:fd:8b:bc:d1 (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=3)
[   54.610000] wlan0: associated

To see what the actual IP is of your Yun, type ifconfig in the input part of the Serial Monitor. After that, you should see something like this.

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 90:A2:DA:F8:0A:22  
          inet addr:192.168.43.237  Bcast:192.168.43.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:41 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:57 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:5513 (5.3 KiB)  TX bytes:8001 (7.8 KiB)

In this case, it is my Yun routing through my hotspot. THE IP ON MY YUN IS 192.168.43.237

Chances are your Yun is set to the factory default IP (of which I forget).

To help you get reset, watch this video

Getting started with Arduino Yún - tutorial

Let us know how it goes.

Jesse

arduino_markup.png

jessel: Also, even though I can access yun web interface via ethernet, I can't access via http://arduino.local perhaps this is an issue with my network settings. Still even if thats the case I'm not sure where to look, there is no firewall set up at this point, and I tried using 8.8.8.8 for DNS...

Being able to use arduino.local doesn't have anything to do with your DNS settings. It actually uses mDNS which is a different protocol and relies on the computer receiving broadcast packets from the Yun. Broadcasts normally only travel on the same network segment and don't normally make the hop through routers or WiFi access points.

Your Yun is currently on Ethernet. How is your computer currently connected? If it's on WiFi, that would explain the issue. If it's on Ethernet, and there is a router or bridge between it an the Yun, that would also explain it. For it to work, the Yun and your computer must either be connected to the same Wifi hotspot, or on the same logical Ethernet segment.

I'm not quite there, but making some progress...

I reset the yun, and followed the setup instructions:

[   38.030000] Backport generated by backports.git backports-20140320-37-g5c33da0
[   38.200000] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
[   38.210000] cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
[   38.210000] cfg80211:  DFS Master region: unset
[   38.210000] cfg80211:   (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp), (dfs_cac_time)
[   38.220000] cfg80211:   (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
[   38.220000] cfg80211:   (2457000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
[   38.220000] cfg80211:   (2474000 KHz - 2494000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
[   38.230000] cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
[   38.230000] cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm), (N/A)
[   38.230000] cfg80211:   (57240000 KHz - 63720000 KHz @ 2160000 KHz), (N/A, 0 mBm), (N/A)
[   39.190000] ieee80211 phy0: Atheros AR9330 Rev:1 mem=0xb8100000, irq=2
[   39.200000] cfg80211: Calling CRDA for country: US
[   39.200000] cfg80211: Regulatory domain changed to country: US
[   39.200000] cfg80211:  DFS Master region: FCC
[   39.200000] cfg80211:   (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp), (dfs_cac_time)
[   39.210000] cfg80211:   (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 3000 mBm), (N/A)
[   39.210000] cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 1700 mBm), (N/A)
[   39.220000] cfg80211:   (5250000 KHz - 5330000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 2300 mBm), (0 s)
[   39.220000] cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 3000 mBm), (N/A)
[   39.220000] cfg80211:   (57240000 KHz - 63720000 KHz @ 2160000 KHz), (N/A, 4000 mBm), (N/A)
[   39.650000] NTFS driver 2.1.30 [Flags: R/O MODULE].
[   39.690000] Error: Driver 'gpio-keys-polled' is already registered, aborting...
[   39.710000] loop: module loaded
[   39.850000] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
[   39.910000] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
[   40.020000] NET: Registered protocol family 24
[   40.060000] nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (954 buckets, 3816 max)
[   40.500000] i2c /dev entries driver
[   40.540000] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
[   40.660000] fuse init (API version 7.18)
[   52.590000] wlan0: authenticate with 10:bf:48:3c:fd:89
[   52.590000] wlan0: send auth to 10:bf:48:3c:fd:89 (try 1/3)
[   52.600000] wlan0: authenticated
[   52.620000] wlan0: associate with 10:bf:48:3c:fd:89 (try 1/3)
[   52.620000] wlan0: RX AssocResp from 10:bf:48:3c:fd:89 (capab=0xc01 status=0 aid=2)
[   52.620000] wlan0: associated

I can connect via web interface at ip address (192.168.0.13), but I do not see anything at arduino.local, which means that the arduino ide cannot see the yun. The yun and the computer are both connected to a router set to "access point mode", the (ISP's) router is setup in the basement where the internet line comes in.

Alternately, if the yun and the laptop are both connected via ethernet I can see "arduino.local" and the arduino ide sees the yun... How would I set up my network so that the computer is able to see the yun when they are connected wirelessly?

Thanks, for all the help!

jessel: I'm not quite there, but making some progress...

::::SNIP::::

Alternately, if the yun and the laptop are both connected via ethernet I can see "arduino.local" and the arduino ide sees the yun... How would I set up my network so that the computer is able to see the yun when they are connected wirelessly?

Thanks, for all the help!

Awesome jessel, you're more than half way there. For this last part, it appears your computer/laptop (host machine) does not have bonjour service. On windows this is known as ZeroConf. On Linux, it is avahi.

The service being used is relatively new. It is called Multicast_DNS.

Hope this helps. Jesse

jessemonroy650: For this last part, it appears your computer/laptop (host machine) does not have bonjour service.

I disagree. Since it works when both are on Ethernet, then the required software is in place and working.

Since they are not working when both are on wireless, I would look at the wireless access point settings. Sometimes there are settings that limit the communications directly between wireless clients. You need to make sure that anything like this is not set to isolate wireless clients from each other. The types of settings and what they are called vary widely between access points, so I can't give any specific instructions.

Both on Ethernet should work. Both on wireless should work. One on a Ethernet and one on wireless won't work with arduino.local, only the direct IP address will work.

My computer is a Mac, so I don’t think its a bonjour issue.

I tried changing settings on the router thats set to access point mode, but alas I was not able to fix the issue, which is not surprising given that I don’t quite no what settings to change. I’ve attached screenshots as to what I’m looking at… I do realize its not arduino related at this point, and I do appreciate the input thus far. I’m getting a little bit better understanding how the yun works, and probably I shouldn’t be perseverating on this wifi since I can upload sketchs via the usb cable. But if someone sees something I’m all ears.

Its too bad that the arduino IDE won’t “see” the Yun if you can only contact it via direct ip address. Am I missing something there? I feel like there would be a way to tell it what the ip address is.

Thanks!

I don't see anything on those pages that would explain why you're not seeing the broadcasts from the Yun. I tried looking at the user manual but that was pretty much useless as it only goes over a few high level concepts and doesn't explain half of what appears to be available on some of the more advanced tabs.

On the wireless page you posted, is there anything interesting on the Bridge and Professional tabs? They seem to have the most potential.

jessel: Its too bad that the arduino IDE won't "see" the Yun if you can only contact it via direct ip address. Am I missing something there? I feel like there would be a way to tell it what the ip address is.

Ive tried suggesting that in the past, how it would be nice to be able to manually enter an IP address, but I was pretty much dismissed and shrugged off...

I did look at the user manual for the router as well, and it really didn’t translate all that well into helping understand the user interface.

Do you think that a different router would work here? I’m not sure I’d actually toss this and get a new one, but I might be tempted to. Just recently I switched from DSL to “high-speed internet” and now the ISP has a router in the basement, so my router is just rebroadcasting for wifi. I’m sure its common, initially I felt like the ISP router had some funny settings with DNS or some other thing… That theory doesn’t seem to hold up. But I do have two routers now, and I’m generally not thrilled about it, anytime anything goes wrong its more settings to check, and the stupid ISP router is almost completely useless on wifi. You can be literally right next to it and the wifi speed is incredibly slow.

Ive tried suggesting that in the past, how it would be nice to be able to manually enter an IP address, but I was pretty much dismissed and shrugged off…

Well if not many people have this issue, and its difficult to implement a solution I guess nobody is going to push for it, but if a lot of people have the issue then it would make a lot of sense to be able to manually enter the IP address.

Thanks for all the help!

@jessel, most HotSpots have ZeroConf service available, including most modern Apples'. Your Arduino should work at Starbucks, as well.

This may give a test you can try.

Jesse

Good news and bad news: I see the setting I was looking for, Asus apparently calls it “Set AP Isolated.” That’s the good news. The bad news is that it’s already off. :frowning:

It’s not a great solution, but lots of people have a second router to make up for the limitations of the ISP’s router. I’ve usually been in the same situation. At the moment, I run the whole house from a MiFi mobile cellular hotspot: the router connects to that using the WiFi as the WAN connection, routes it to Ethernet, then a couple WiFi access points give WiFi. Most everything is on Ethernet (I spent a lot of time pulling wires in walls) the only thing on WiFi are tablets/phones, a Wii, and of course the Yuns (which of course means I can’t get their broadcasts on the wired computers!)

I don’t want to recommend a new router to you, there is no telling that a new one would be any better. Do you have the option of loading a different firmware on your router, something like DD-WRT or OpenWRT? I use DD-WRT because it’s supported by my router manufacturer, and OpenWRT is of course what you’re already running on the Yun. Both will give you a lot more configurability than the stock firmware (as well as give you many more ways to do something wrong!) Note that this is a complex scenario, and I won’t be able to help if things go wrong.

jessemonroy650: most HotSpots have ZeroConf service available, including most modern Apples'. Your Arduino should work at Starbucks, as well.

This may give a test you can try.

I hear what you're saying there, and I think it would work. Its just not something that fits into my routine... and I feel pretty comfortable that I have not broke the Yun (yet). I'm more likely to roll the dice and try adding yet another router to my network, but the apple stuff is too expensive.

ShapeShifter: I don't want to recommend a new router to you, there is no telling that a new one would be any better. Do you have the option of loading a different firmware on your router, something like DD-WRT or OpenWRT? I use DD-WRT because it's supported by my router manufacturer, and OpenWRT is of course what you're already running on the Yun. Both will give you a lot more configurability than the stock firmware (as well as give you many more ways to do something wrong!) Note that this is a complex scenario, and I won't be able to help if things go wrong.

I'm looking through the list of routers supported by dd-wrt and open-wrt and I'm thinking that if I bought this it looks like its supported though I'm not even sure since the version on amazon might be newer than the supported versions. If it didn't work I wouldn't be out a ton of money, and probably get support from future releases. Mainly I'm afraid to mess with the asus router, just because we are always using it. This is equivalent to fixing the toilet on a house with one bathroom, if you have to do it you want to make sure you have everything you need on hand, and with adding custom firmware to a router my assumption is that I'll break it (at least for a while)!

Thanks

jessel: This is equivalent to fixing the toilet on a house with one bathroom, if you have to do it you want to make sure you have everything you need on hand, and with adding custom firmware to a router my assumption is that I'll break it (at least for a while)!

This is a wise attitude to have. I remember remodeling the only full bathroom in my first house - of course issues with old galvanized pipes came up, and it took much longer than expected, and there were several days that the tub/shower was out of commission. Fortunately, we still have a fully functional half bath so it wasn't quite as big an emergency.

I can't say which router will give you good service or be able to be easily upgraded. I went with routers from Buffalo, which aren't the cheapest, but are supported with custom DD-WRT loads downloaded direct from Buffalo, so you know the software is properly built for that model of router. I didn't want to have to deal with downloading source and building a custom image, or dealing with finger-pointing by the manufacturer if there were any issues. I've simply had no issues using Buffalo's DD-WRT builds on their routers. Others have had good success with other brands and generic or custom builds, other have had problems. It's wise to be concerned.

@jessel,

Just in case: friendly hotspots: McDonalds, Starbucks, DunkinDonuts, many Jack-in-the-Box, your local donut shop.

unfriendly hotspots: most hotels & motels, Burger King, Taco Bell.

On the Friendly side, beside google, abd the AT&T brand is wayport.net (google: wayport.net), is your local diner and donut shop. Since they don't have a "staff" to handle network issues, many, many local places have better wifi than brand names. Currently I'm at "Chuck's Donuts" - a local donut hole in Redwood City for over 50 years. (google: chuck's donuts redwood city)

Jesse

@jessemonroy650:
I never did take the yun out of the house, but installing openwrt fixed the problem (as suggested by @ShapeShifter)… I think in fact it was your instructions on the openwrt forum that showed me how to set up the router to simply be an access point. I mean it was definitely this.) set of instructions, but I can only speculate that you wrote them because it is possible that the jessemonroy650 on the openwrt site is not the same person…

I ended up buying a TP-Link TL-WR741 router from Wally World, it was under $20 so I went into it OK with the fact that I might turn it into a paperweight. The router I got is version 4.28, neither openwrt or ddwrt explicilty show support for this version, and it seemed like there was plenty of opportunity for something to go wrong, though this router (at least earlier versions) came up as have good support for both openwrt and ddwrt.

Once I got the router it was easy to install openwrt. The thing that was difficult was setting it up. At first I was trying to give it a static ip address, then it finally it occurred to me that I just wanted to set it to be an access point, but I didn’t know how to do that (on the asus router you just click a radio button). Anyway eventually I came across the thread showing how to connect an openwrt router to the internet as a dumb access point and bam, everything worked. I was able to connect to the internet, use the web interface (not that I didn’t have good times connecting to the router via telnet and editing with vi!), and then I finally turned wi-fi on.

So now I can see the yun via wifi from my laptop, and upload sketches wirelessly!

jessel: @jessemonroy650: I never did take the yun out of the house, but installing openwrt fixed the problem (as suggested by @ShapeShifter)... I think in fact it was your instructions on the openwrt forum that showed me how to set up the router to simply be an access point. I mean it was definitely this.) set of instructions, but I can only speculate that you wrote them because it is possible that the jessemonroy650 on the openwrt site is not the same person...

::::SNIP::::

@jessel, thanks for the kind words, but that was not me. I think you should pat yourself on the back for being diligent.

Jesse