New Year - new board!

Happy New Year.

After seeing questions on driving Common Cathode LED displays, I developed this board that can be populated with up to 12 MIC5891 High Voltage, High Current source shift registers.

Easy to control with SPI.transfer() or shiftOut(), for example loading up data from an array:

// time for an update?
digitalWrite (ssPin, LOW);
for (x = 0; x < 12; x = x+1){
SPI.transfer(dataArray[x]);
}
digitalWrite (ssPin, HIGH); // data moved from input stage to output stage with a high level
digitalWrite (ssPin, LOW);  // output latched in place

Output will accept a 2x5 IDC ribbon cable connector, with 8 bits and 2 Gnd,
such as this crimp on header

or a Pololu.com 2x5 crimp housing and flying leads with female terminated wires can be used
Pololu - 0.1" (2.54mm) Crimp Connector Housing: 2x5-Pin 5-Pack
Pololu - Wires with Pre-Crimped Terminals 50-Piece 10-Color Assortment F-F 12"
Female-Female and Female-Male are available pre-crimped in various lengths.

Here's an assembled board with a ribbon cable on one output header, flying leads on another, and 1x8 header with Female-Male leads going off to an Uno (supplying 12V from the Uno's Vin is not suggested, it just kept it neat for the picture).

Darlington output drivers?

Not optimal. To my mind, does not qualify as a high-side version of the TPIC6x595. More a shift register adaptation of the ULN devices.

Paul__B:
Darlington output drivers?

Not optimal. To my mind, does not qualify as a high-side version of the TPIC6x595. More a shift register adaptation of the ULN devices.

Gotta agree, I’m sure it has its applications but the Vce(sat) really stinks, 2.3 volts at 100ma. That’s almost 2 watts for 8 channels so be sure to check the duty cycle derating in the the datasheet, it’s significant.

@CrossRoads, your Thread Title is a lousy advertisement for your product. It gives no indication about the product. It does not even signal that you have a new product. I thought it was Thread with a question about how to use some new board..

I will leave the technical comments to others.

...R

CrossRoads:
After seeing questions on driving Common Cathode LED displays...

If you buy things without asking, then I see no problem in telling them to trow it away and buy the right displays.
(large) Common anode displays are so much easier to drive with a TPIC chip.
Leo..