Newb - Cannot upload sketch

Hi there,

I received my first Arduino today (An Arduino Uno Rev 3). I have downloaded the Arduino 1.0.5 software and have connected the board to my Mac. I then tried to upload the Blink sketch from the example files. I get an error "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding." I have checked the settings of the software and I have the correct board and port selected. After quite a bit of frustration, I tried the same process on my PC. On that computer, I receive an error also, though it is different. The error reads "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00."

At this point, I am pretty much lost. This doesn't seem like rocket science, yet I can't seem to complete a simple task. I went through the troubleshooting guide (http://arduino.cc/en/guide/troubleshooting#toc1) and have tried everything they suggested. The part about the bootloader is the only part that confused me. When I press reset, nothing happens. The on LED stays solid lit as does the 'L' LED.

Did I get a defective product?

Thank you for your help.

This might be a silly question, but did you install the arduino driver?

Odd though, if you've never programmed onto it the L LED should be blinking. Not a good sign I guess :(.

Hi trustnoone (love the username):

Thank you for your suggestion. On the Mac there are no drivers needed. On the PC, I did install them. =)

As far as I know,

you should get 2 blinks on LED13 when pressed reset if the bootloader is correctly functioning.

perhaps you got a product with corrupt bootloader.

Try ISP programming and burn a bootloader.

Well, after a bunch of frustration I elected to not worry about the bootloader (as that looked complicated for a beginner) and I returned the device to the store. Got a new one, it works perfectly. Thank you all for trying to help.