Newbie Advice

I’m new to arduino, but I have used Picaxe for some of my projects in the past. My interest is building models from the Star Wars films. There is a small robot in the 1st movie known as the “mouse droid” which I thought would make a great project for me to incorporate arduino. Based on this here is what I would like to try and accomplish:

-The original “robot” from the film was built over an R/C car which is what I would like to use as a base. Can I use a standard R/C motor with the Arduino? Can I control direction of the front wheels with a servo?
-I want it to operate like a Roomba ( for lack of a better example) that would roam a space and avoid walls and obstacles.
-I want to be able to control speed.
-I would like it to play sound effects.
-I would like to replicate the film so if it “hears” a loud sound it will play a certain sound effect then turn away from it.
-I would also like to control it from an iphone manually at times.

My best guess would be I need:

Arduino UNO R3 board with DIP ATmega328P
Arduino Motor Shield R3
SainSmart HC-SR04 Ranging Detector Mod Distance Sensor (Blue)
Kootek® BT2S Bluetooth to Serial Slave RS232 TTL UART Module Board for Arduino
LM393 Sound Detection Sensor Module Sound Sensor Intelligent Vehicle For Arduino

I just want to make sure I’m even on the right path. Other than the internet are there any recommended books? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

11.jpg