Newbie at arduino and serial communication

Hi,

I have recenetly bought an arduino starter kit and I have completed the basic projects. I have the very basic knowledge but I am interested in serial communication mainly in automotive used communication protocols like K-line protocols, CAN, UDS.

How/What could I study in order to be progressively able to understand a communication and practice using arduino? I can't find many stuff explained with these protocols. I can only find information for UART, I2C and SPI. Should I stard with them?

Thanks in advance!

johnman: Hi,

I have recenetly bought an arduino starter kit and I have completed the basic projects. I have the very basic knowledge but I am interested in serial communication mainly in automotive used communication protocols like K-line protocols, CAN, UDS.

for K-Line would probably need to use a LIN transceiver to read/write. You can find K-line arduino libaries on Github

Same for CAN. loads of arduino compatible libraries and hardware our there... did you even try googling for that!!!

as for CAN UDS its just a diagnostic protocol thats uses CAN as its comm media... again try googling.

you can build the UDS commands once you get the hang of using the CAN libraries

sherzaad: for K-Line would probably need to use a LIN transceiver to read/write. You can find K-line arduino libaries on Github

Same for CAN. loads of arduino compatible libraries and hardware our there... did you even try googling for that!!!

as for CAN UDS its just a diagnostic protocol thats uses CAN as its comm media... again try googling.

you can build the UDS commands once you get the hang of using the CAN libraries

I don't want to take a ready sketch and a CAN BUS shield and say I did it. I want to understand how they work! Could I read the libraries available in GitHub?

Thanks anyway!

1. Do you know how does UART Port work? If not, please study the following diagrams; write codes to exchange 5 and 7 between UNO and NANO.
uart-9y.png

2. Then study I2C Bus using UNO and NANO.

3. Then study SPI Port using UNO and NANO.

4. Then study CAN Bus using DUE.

uart-9y.png