Newbie Avr question ?

Ive got a couple atmega 328 and 644 but looking for one with more than 64k program memory as running short of space.Are there any avr with an ardunino bootloader preloaded and more than 64k prog memory but in a dip package ?

ATMega1284 16K SRAM, 128K Flash. 40 Pin dip, just like 644P.

Nick Gammon has nice webpage on loading bootloader http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11635

And maniacbug's core files for the IDE https://github.com/maniacbug/mighty-1284p

Is that the highest capacity there is 128K for the dip package ?

Anyone have any idea where to buy the ATMega1284 dip with ardunio boot loader preloaded in the Uk they seem hard to find ?

If you are interested in learning, you can load the boot-loader yourself :slight_smile:
It’s not that hard, I’ve done it on a few atmega chips (because they are cheaper to buy without the arduino bootloader)

Use ArduinoISP sketch (I prefer to use it with Arduino0.23) and us it to load a bootloader. takes a little bit of fssing around with wires and such but once you have done it the first time it is rather a piece of cake after that. Chip to be programmed needs whatever crystal/resonator you want it to work with and 6 wires from the ISP to the chip takes way longer to set it up than to actually do it.

Or - use multiple smaller units with one as a master. More processing power and the project is still broken up into smaller, easier to edit/maintain/troubleshoot modules. Each individual is doing less work so it can do whatever faster, and more often.

"Is that the highest capacity there is 128K for the dip package ?" I believe so. You can always add SPI controlled Serial memory chips to increase capacity.

"Anyone have any idea where to buy the ATMega1284 dip with ardunio boot loader preloaded in the Uk they seem hard to find ?" Ask Spycatcher via PM, he offers some UK services.

CrossRoads: "Is that the highest capacity there is 128K for the dip package ?" I believe so. You can always add SPI controlled Serial memory chips to increase capacity.

"Anyone have any idea where to buy the ATMega1284 dip with ardunio boot loader preloaded in the Uk they seem hard to find ?" Ask Spycatcher via PM, he offers some UK services.

Are there any tutorials on using SPI controlled Serial memory chips to increase capacity.

You can't increase program memory capacity because of the CPU architecture. All you get is what's on the chip. Some of the larger AVRs (atmega1280) can have external DATA RAM (up to almost 64k, or more with banking), but you can't put code there. There is also "constant" storage, which is frequently put into program memory to save RAM, but which COULD also be put into some sort of external memory.

Or you can put some kind of interpreted code into external memory, like a microSD card, and store LOTS of it. For instance, see "Bitlash"