Newbie: GPS Logger

Hi,

I am brand new and don't even have an arduino yet. I want to build a GPS logger that can run for a long time (~24 hours, so low power drain) and log locations to something like an SD card.

Where do I start? Which Arduino do I get that can handle GPS and which GPS module do you suggest?

I do have electronics experience so I'm okay with breadboarding and also can program (prefer Linux).

Thanks!

Ken

Take a look on Adafruits GPS shiels, it has interface for sifferent GPS modules and a SD card connector... http://www.adafruit.com/products/98 Works fine with a Duemillenove, I have not tested it with a Uno, but I doubt there should be any issues there :grin:

Thanks Hideout!

Well, I’ve taken that first important step. I went to the nearby RS and picked up a new Arduino Uno. I then installed Arduino 1.0 on my Linux/Ubuntu server and successfully uploaded the sample first program that controls the onboard LED. Yay!

So I guess the next step is to start getting add-ons such as the GPS module and shield that you referred to.

I can think of lots of neat ways to use this to capture data using sensors for temperature and the like and then logging it with the current position.

Fun stuff!

Ken