NEWBIE -HELP

Ok…just got into this Arduino stuff, so please bare with me. I plug in my Arduino Nano, v3.0, ATMega328 to my MAc, running OS 10.10.1. And the nano is flashing the “L” led and the PWR led is solid red. Try to upload a sample .ino file and NOTHING HAPPENS, except error codes.

Also tried to use a Windows PC, and same thing…

Again, i am a newbie to all of this, so anyone who can hold my hand and guide is greatly appreciated.

Without knowing what errors you get, we cannot help.

Weedpharma

Here is one error

Build options changed, rebuilding all

Sketch uses 16,540 bytes (53%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30,720 bytes.
Global variables use 39 bytes (1%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,009 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

Again, I am new to all of this, I was told all I had to do was upload the codes, which I have 3 different ones from 3 different people and they all say the same error codes. But when I do the examples, it all works.

BUT..I dont get a green light, nor a blue one, all I get is the flashing "L" light and the solid red "PWR" light.

Do you mean that if you load a simple program like Blink, it works ok?

Weedpharma

Sorry about that - too soon on the post button.

Step 1 Read the tutorials before being tempted to plug in

Step 2 I'm no expert, but your error codes might suggest a port/board setting wrong - the sketch is compiling but the upload is failing

Step 3 Mr Arduino won't like you calling his lovely boards "stuff" - it obviously took exception to being downgraded to stuff and is having a sulk. Be nice to it and you might make some progress

Yes weedpharma, you are correct. As to tiggers comments, can you elaborate on the port/board setting? How or what do I need to look for. I put in the exact board that was listed on the choices.

This is NOT happening, and this is according to the Arduino step by step instructions for a MAC.

" Connect the Arduino board to your computer using the USB cable. The green power LED (labelled PWR) should go on." ( its RED - NOT GREEN )

Are you using a genuine or clone product?

I don't think the power is dual colour, if power is on then it is on.

Have you tried loading Blink after trying the problem sketch?

Weedpharma

The errors you described to start with are the errors you get if the correct board is not selected from Tools/Board. The list of ports available (COM 1 etc.) are updated when you plug the USB into the board. I'm using Windows so the ports will be different on a Mac. Either way, the list will change when you plug and unplug, just look for the port the disappears/reappears and that's the port allocated to your board. I've just tried it to make sure - with wrong board, the upload will try 10 times then fail. If the board is a clone, then the LED's may be different colours - the tutorials etc. always assume that you are using genuine, branded Arduino boards.