Newbie learning Loop code from 'Learn'

Hi, as stated, I'm new to Arduino and I'm trying to teach myself from the tutorials. I have followed the sketch for pinMode and serial write but the serial monitor does not register the 'L', it just displays the 'H'. I still have the potential meter attached from the previous exercise and this has no effect when I turn it, nor does pressing the button on the board as it just cause a break in the code and pauses it until released.
My questions are: Am I expecting something which isn't supposed to happen, should I see the 'L' on the monitor? How can I influence the code to display the 'L' as I have followed the code precisely to no effect.
Suggestions please.
Thanks, Alan

You need to post the code you are trying so we can see what you are trying to do.

And please use the code button </>so your code looks like thisand is easy to copy to a text editor

…R

@Alan,

Following tutorials is a good way to learn basics. Both Adafruit snd Sparkfun have excellent articles, too.

Another way to learn is to start with a simple project that does maybe 60% of what you want. Then, using the working code, change and add to get all your functionality... make it youd own!

I have a few simple projects and you may find something fun.

Ray

Welcome to the forum jamood.

We need a bit more information about your sketch.

Hi, Alan,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Thnaks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone who answered my question, Tom your advice was most welcome but I had read the section mentioned, if I messed up, sorry. To Larry, I will endeavour to do more by way of explanation in the future. Thank you Ray, I will look at your projects after I send this thank you, and Robin, good advice, which I will try to remember in future. Your response was great and I shall definitely be returning with more question in the future. As for the one I posted yesterday, I went over everything again before I realised my potentiometer was too big, I replaced it with the appropriate range and it work! hurray, simple error, but I worked it out. I have now moved on through the Learning range of skills in an effort to better understand coding, before embarking on a build project. Thank you all once again and I will be taking your advice onboard as I progress.

You are on your way to being an expert now! :wink:

The second post is always the hardest.