newbie - my old sketch is not replaced

Hi,
I am a newbie. I tried to use the forums and the interwebs to get an answer. It might be that I do not know what to search or ask. I am going to give a try to get an answer here, if not, i am sending the board and all the stuff with it back.

I have an arduino uno board. I am using Arduino Studio with an Windows 64 bit machine to interface. I was able to configure and upload a few sketches previously.

My problem is, a sketch is persistent on the board. I upload a new sketch, see that it is uploaded, on the console the lights for TX, RX flash etc. However, to my disappointment, my old sketch is still running. I tried to upload even a most basic one but no success.

Could anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Expand the bottom part of the window, copy the red part of the result and paste it in here using the code tag button </>

Thanks for the reply. I do not get an error at the end of the compilation or upload. Everything looks normal.Here is a common behavior. If I change parameters of a program the the board does not reflect the changes.

It almost looks like the program uploads from cache memory after compilation.

Here is what i see at the bottom - no problem reported. Also, a little more background to my problem, i am listing the code as well.

I am writing to pin 3 “low” twice, it is still blinking, which used to be the prior program.

here is the code

void setup() {
pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
pinMode(3, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
digitalWrite(13, LOW);
digitalWrite(3, LOW);
delay(100);
digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
digitalWrite(3, LOW);
delay(500);
}

here is the end of my upload. I only see one com port and it is selected properly.

</>

[10/29/2015, 3:18:54 PM] - wiring_shift.c.o linked to core.a
[10/29/2015, 3:18:55 PM] - WMath.cpp.o linked to core.a
[10/29/2015, 3:18:55 PM] - WString.cpp.o linked to core.a
[10/29/2015, 3:18:55 PM] - dd_one.cpp.elf linked to core.a
[10/29/2015, 3:18:55 PM] - dd_one EEPROM
[10/29/2015, 3:18:55 PM] - dd_one.hex builded
[10/29/2015, 3:18:55 PM] - Uploading…
[10/29/2015, 3:18:57 PM] - uploaded

palto2:
Here is what i see at the bottom - no problem reported. Also, a little more background to my problem, i am listing the code as well.

I am writing to pin 3 "low" twice, it is still blinking, which used to be the prior program.

here is the code

void setup() {
pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
pinMode(3, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
digitalWrite(13, LOW);
digitalWrite(3, LOW);
delay(100);
digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
digitalWrite(3, LOW);
delay(500);
}

You're also writing pin 13 low and high alternately. There is an LED connected to pin 13 (and not pin 3) on most Arduino boards... So that would result in a blinking LED.... Now if it's also blinking a led you have connected to pin 3, that would be a problem.

I am writing low to pin 3 twice, but my pin 3 is blinking on my basic diode circuit. Practically this code is not making to my board. A prior code is either staying resident or I am uploading a compiled code that is coming from the cache.

Have anyone met this problem before?

Does it still blink if you upload File > Examples > 01.Basics > BareMinimum?

Sorry, could not reply earlier. I travel during the week.

When I upload the bare_minimum it loads, which is great, shuts everything.

When I try to upload other sketch, it reverts back to another sketch. I just write to pins 3 and 5 in a flip flop fashion. To my frustration, pin 4 is also flip floping.

I like the board and the concept, but does not look like it is going to stay with me.

I am almost sure it is uploading stuff from memory and it is not re-compiling my sketch.

I do not see any plausible route for the IDE to upload old/wrong code. I think there's something else going on.

Are you measuring pin 4 with a volt meter or other high impedance measuring implement (as opposed to an LED that draws some current)? If the pin is floating, and you're not trying to source or sink any current, you'll get bogus results measuring the voltage, because it's acting as an antenna and picking up noise from the environment.

If it's actually sourcing and sinking current though, that's weird. Is it blinking at the same time as another pin (implying that the pins are shorted together - either from conductive debris on the table you're using, or due to a defective unit (the cheap clones do sometimes have assembly problems))?

I agree with DrAzzy, I don't think it is likely some stuff from memory is uploading, especially since you upload the bare minimum sketch and observe it stops visible activity of your LEDs. It had to compile and upload the bare minimum sketch.

I'm curious, what is the "Arduino Studio" software you use on your Windows computer? Does that come from a website or disk, does it have a version number? I think most people get started with the Arduino IDE downloaded from this web site (arduino.cc).

Are you using some sort of book or online lessons to get started? If not, I recommend Adafruit's online Arduino lessons. They may take some of the mystery out of it. Google Adafruit Arduino Lesson 1.

Oh, Arduino Studio is a arduino.org thing. I doubt people on this forum will be able to help you much with that because it's made by a different company than arduino.cc so very few people on this forum have experience with it. I recommend you download the real Arduino IDE here: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software and see if that solves your problem. Even if it doesn't you'll still be using a much better program that people on this forum have experience. If you want to keep using Arduino Studio then you should probably be asking for help from arduino.org customer service or the arduino.org forum.

Thanks, pert. Oh, now I see. That is pretty obscure, and it looks like Google doesn't know much about it either. That was probably a poor name choice for the product, because Google will probably never give good guidance even if it gets some traction. I see it is in alpha; I definitely wouldn't recommend any alpha or beta software to anybody getting started. No wonder the OP is frustrated.

Oh, dang, none of us noticed that!

Yuck.

Yeah, that's probably your problem. We all assumed you were using the official Arduino IDE from https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

There is ongoing litigation over the Arduino trademark and the Arduino.org people. They used to do the manufacturing - and then earlier this year they went rogue and started claiming that they were the real Arduino. They are creating this confusion intentionally.

I second that yuck.

palto2:
...I am using Arduino Studio....

palto2, I need to revise what I said earlier. There is no telling what results you may get from using Arduino Studio. Perhaps it will work, maybe it won't, maybe it will work right most of the time, who knows. I'm not bashing it, you just have to know it is in alpha release. Normally alpha software is in the very first stages of testing and would have quite a few bugs. In my opinion, it should not be presented prominently on any web site for download, it should only be available for seasoned experimenters by invitation. I like Webopedia's definition found via Google:

What is Alpha Version? Webopedia
www.webopedia.com › TERM › A
Typically, software goes through two stages of testing before it is considered finished. The first stage, called alpha testing, is often performed only by users within the organization developing the software. The second stage, called beta testing , generally involves a limited number of external users.

I suggest going with pert's advice, download Arduino IDE. And go through the Adafruit lessons.

First, Thanks to all for the replies. I did not know that IDE and Arduino Studio were different things. Also just realized Arduino.cc and Arduino.org difference.

I am installing the IDE and will give things a try again. I have version 1.6 going on but there is also 1.7. Is there a big difference?

I am installing the IDE and will give things a try again. I have version 1.6 going on but there is also 1.7. Is there a big difference?

The latest released version is 1.6.6. You should be using that.

palto2:
I have version 1.6 going on but there is also 1.7. Is there a big difference?

By 1.7 do you mean the arduino.org IDE 1.7.7?

Folks,
I was traveling and could not get back to experiment with version 1.6.6. Things worked out fine. I appreciate the help.