Newbie needed project advice

First of all I want to introduce myself and say thank you in advance to every member of this community and especially those who took the time out to help me with this project. My problem is simple I guess. I want to make an on and off switch to some speakers thats activated by an ir sensor. My question is it as simple as cutting the power adapter from the speakers and plugging the wires into my arduino or is it something more complicated. I currently have an arduino uno and minimal experience with lighting leds and hooking up pushbuttons to the digital inputs of the UNO. I would appreciate anyone’s help because although very informative, googling and searching the forums has directed me to content t hat was way above my understanding especially those cool diagrams of triangles, squiggly lines, and broken bars that reminds me of Egyptian hieroglyphics. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Aqua

your talking about switching power to a pair of amplified speakers right?

you are going to need a little bit more than just the arduino, but probably not much more than a relay or similar device, but more information is needed

Yeah the speakers are amplified. They bare hooked up to and ipod or computer fgor audio src and powered by the ac adapter

so do you want to flip the power on and off or just mute the signal going to the speakers?

if you want to flip the power off and on, what kind of voltage and amperage do they take? (usually listed on the back or on the power adaper)

whats the cycle rate your looking for, is this something when you come home you flip the speakers on or is it something that is going to cut on and off 48 times an hour?

From a quick search on sparkfun for "relay" I found this http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/119tutorial and this Relay SPDT Sealed - 20A - COM-10924 - SparkFun Electronics part. Am I right? If so how do I interface this with my Uno/
Relay tutorial I read and found very informative here http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/ArduinoPower

Osgeld:
so do you want to flip the power on and off or just mute the signal going to the speakers?

if you want to flip the power off and on, what kind of voltage and amperage do they take? (usually listed on the back or on the power adaper)

whats the cycle rate your looking for, is this something when you come home you flip the speakers on or is it something that is going to cut on and off 48 times an hour?

The speaker set I have is rated at 120V. Ultimately I want the speakers to power on whenever the IR sensor is triggered for a specified amount of time, like an alarm of some sort. If it's triggered 50 times a day then thats cool but I just want it to cycle 24hrs