Newbie needs advice on simple project

I am just starting a project that involves reading what position a 3 position mechanical switch is in (off, single, burst) and controlling a servo based on that position if a mechanical button (momentary switch) is pressed.
off = do nothing... except maybe make sure the servo stays at 0
single = turn 0 to 180 and back to zero one time per button press as quickly as possible (servo speed seems very slow using the servo library)
burst = turn 0 to 180 to 0 to 180 ... continuously as long as button is held down, returning to 0 when it is released

I'm getting quickly frustrated. I tested the servo first with the a simple push botton and the example code. It worked fine, but way too slow. Now,
I'm testing the switch with a simple serial write to see if the voltage is going where it's supposed to... but it's not. I have the 5v from the Uno board going through the momentary switch, then through the 3 position switch to three input pins on the Uno. Right now, without the momentary pressed, I have voltage coming through. Here's the code that tests it. I don't know if I need pull-down resistors or something similar somewhere in my circuit or if I just need to debounce and use edge detection... or something else. Any help is greatly appreciated. If I could, I'd upload a schematic of my circuitry, but I don't know how to do that.

here's the code portion I'm testing right now and having trouble with the voltages...

int pos = 0;    // variable to store the servo position 
const int buttonPinSingle = 2;     // the number of pin V will be on if switch is set to single shot
const int buttonPinBurst = 4;      // the number of pin V will be on if switch is set to burst
const int buttonPinOff = 6;        // the number of pin V will be on if switch is set to off
const int ledPin =  13;      // the number of the LED pin
const int servoPin = 9;
int buttonStateSingle = 0;         // variable for reading the switch status - high if 5V, low if 0V.
int buttonStateBurst = 0;        // variable for reading the switch status - high if 5V, low if 0V.
int buttonStateOff = 0;         // variable for reading the switch status - high if 5V, low if 0V.
int setting = 0;            // variable for changing the case dependant on the switch setting

void setup() 
{ 
  myservo.attach(servoPin);  // attaches the servo on pin 9 to the servo object 
  // initialize the LED pin as an output:
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);      
  // initialize each switch pin as an input:
  pinMode(buttonPinSingle, INPUT);
  pinMode(buttonPinBurst, INPUT); 
  pinMode(buttonPinOff, INPUT); 
  // initialize serial communication
  Serial.begin(9600);       
} 

void loop() 
{ 
   // read the state of the 3 position switch:
  buttonStateSingle = digitalRead(buttonPinSingle);
  buttonStateBurst = digitalRead(buttonPinBurst);
  buttonStateOff = digitalRead(buttonPinOff);

/*  pos = 0;            // ? set servo position to 0 to begin  */

// check which setting the switch is on.
  // the buttonState is HIGH for the position it is set to (off, single, burst), but all should read LOW if the momentary switch isn't pushed

if ((buttonStateOff == HIGH && buttonStateSingle == LOW && buttonStateBurst == LOW) || (buttonStateSingle == LOW && buttonStateBurst == LOW && buttonStateOff == LOW  )) {
  setting = 0;
  }  
  else if (buttonStateBurst == HIGH && buttonStateSingle == LOW && buttonStateOff == LOW) {  
    setting = 2;
  }  
  else if (buttonStateSingle == HIGH && buttonStateBurst == LOW && buttonStateOff == LOW) {     
    setting = 1;
  }

switch (setting) {

case 0:    //switch set to off

Serial.println("off");

break;

case 1:    //switch set to single

Serial.println("single");

break;

case 2:     //switch set to burst

Serial.println("burst");

break;
  }

Besides the switch voltage problems I'm having, I wonder if this is worth proceeding with because I'm very new to all of this and keep wondering how safe my circuits and code are. I don't want to burn up the Uno or my servo. Also, this particular application cannot allow for a stray servo command. I'm not sure what safety measures (code and circuitry) I need to use.

webhansen:
It worked fine, but way too slow.

How are you powering the servo?

I'm using the 5V from the board. If I write 180 to the servo, delay just long enough for it to do the full sweep, and write 0, doesn't the servo go at max speed if it's a 5V servo getting 5V? I'm testing with a servo pulled out of an RC project. I probably just need a faster servo, but then I sacrifice torque, which I need also. I'm more worried about the switches being wired and coded correctly at this point.

You should describe how you wired up the buttons and attach your code. The servos are slow (how slow in terms of rev/s?) because they are probably running a gearbox to slow them down. What kind of speed are you requiring for the rotation? You could use solenoids or compressed air for faster action. After all, guns run on compressed air, right? (I assume you are trying to make a turret of some sort?!)

webhansen:
doesn't the servo go at max speed if it's a 5V servo getting 5V?

It will try to, but the servo could easily draw more current than the Arduino's voltage regulator will provide. While you may be able to get it to move, as you've shown here, it will have limited torque and speed. Give it a separate reliable power supply to make sure it's working to its full potential before you look for problems elsewhere.