Newbie needs advice

Hi I'm new to Arduino and would love to get to grips with it.
I have a Proxon model milling machine that I'm trying to convert to CNC.
All the stepper motors are in place but not sure which Arduino boards to use!
Can anyone recommend the best way to go.
Thanks

Can anyone recommend the best way to go.

I don't know about best, but I would suggest, for a 3 axis machine with steppers that draw less than about 1.6 amps an Uno and CNC shield would work. I would get the DRV8825 drivers instead of A4988. The DRV8825 modules can supply a bit more current and have X32 microstepping. Make sure to adjust the current (Vref) for each driver module before powering the motors as explained here.

I agree generally with @GroundFungus except that I doubt if x32 microstepping is any value. The lead screws on the Proxxon are probably 1mm per revolution so that, with full steps, there will be 200 steps per mm.

...R

Hi thanks for your replies. I will have a look and make a start.
One other thing I forgot to mention was, is there any free operating software that I could use to control my milling machine once I get it working?

Marchie:
is there any free operating software that I could use to control my milling machine once I get it working?

GRBL

...R

In addition to Grbl control firmware a Gcode sender is needed to communicate between the PC and Grbl. Universal Gcode Sender is is one that is popular. My favorite is bCNC. There are probably more, but those I have experience with.