Newbie, please help

Hi, everybody. i am trying to use L293D to contral a Tamiya motor, whose current consumption is 2.6A to 3.5A and operating voltage is 2.4V to 3.0V. But the maximum uotput current for l293d is just 1.2A. When I power the circuit, I can hear sound coming out of the motor without spinning. Can I increase the current in the circuit in order to make the motor spin? if not, how can I make the motor spin? By the way, what’s the output voltage of l293d?

Thanks!

L293D can handle the voltage, but not the current. Find a motor driver board that is L298 based, higher current capable. Or look at motor driver boards from pololu.com

Thanks for your reply! Do you mean that if we want to power a 2.6A ~3.5A motor, I have to buy a motor shield for arduino?

A motor driver chip on a board. Not necessarily a shield.

Thanks for your reply! I found one on pololu.com. But i am not sure if it is appropriate. Could you give some opinions? This is the webpage address: http://www.pololu.com/product/713

No. 1A continuous, 3A peak. you said you needed 2.6-3.5A. keep looking, am sure you are close.

Thanks for your reply. Can you explain what continuous and peak current are? I tried google it. But I couldn't find anything. Thanks. why isn't 3 A peak current fit my 2.6 A - 3.0 A motor?

Continuous is current that runs all the time, like a motor going steady state.
Peak is a brief surge, like when the motor is just starting from a stopped state, or is running along and gets jammed up for some reason.

“why isn’t 3 A peak current fit my 2.6 A - 3.0 A motor?”
because you said

current consumption is 2.6A to 3.5A

and 3 is < 3.5. Just going by your numbers.

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks!