Newbie problem with library

I am a newbie and totally confused with the importing of libraries.
I wanted to include the library ESP8266WiFi.

I am using the online Ardiuno editor.
I downloaded the file from Gitgub but I cant find it in the Library Manager.

Its in my downloads but when I search for it it doesn’t show up.

What I am doing wrong?
Many thanks
David

Switch to the (normal) local version of the IDE. There you can import it :slight_smile:

Herrid:
I am a newbie and totally confused with the importing of libraries.
I wanted to include the library ESP8266WiFi.

I am using the online Ardiuno editor.
I downloaded the file from Gitgub but I cant find it in the Library Manager.

Its in my downloads but when I search for it it doesn’t show up.

What I am doing wrong?
Many thanks
David

Hi David,

Here are some screen shots of the online editor showing you how to import libraries. When you download them from github, the zip file has too many nested folders, so you should unzip the library, then find the actual parent folder of the library and copy it to a folder called 'Libraries' ... then zip the Libraries folder up and import it to the web editor.

Your folder hirearchy should look something like this inside the zip file:

-Libraries
|
--Specific Library Folder
       |
       |
       -------- Files and folders that make up the library

In the web IDE, click on Libraries on the left then click the little upload square as seen here

You will then see this window ... just follow the bouncing ball and it should work great :slight_smile:

The ESP8266WiFi is part of the ESP8266 core for Arduino. That library can only be used when directly programming the ESP8266. The Arduino Web Editor doesn't support 3rd party boards, so you can't use it to directly program ESP8266 boards. You need to use the regular desktop IDE if you want to directly program an ESP8266.

Please provide a detailed description of what you're trying to accomplish.

Even when using the regular Arduino IDE, it still doesn't make any sense to install the ESP8266WiFi library. When you install the ESP8266 core for Arduino, you also install the ESP8266WiFi library. You get the version of that library that was specifically written to work with the version of the core. If you install the library separately, it may cause you to eventually end up with problems due to mismatched versions of the library and the core. For this reason, I recommend against ever doing this. I'm actually really curious how all the beginners constantly manage to get their hands on that library, since it's a bit challenging to even extract it out of the ESP8266 core for Arduino.

Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking about a small wifi project to start so I ordered a ESP8266.
I saw a project on Blynk, which I was hoping to adapt. The author used the library I was trying to import. Hence my sad efforts.
I basically just want a simple project using wifi to get me started.

Are you using only an ESP8266, or are you using an ESP8266 connected to a different Arduino board like an Uno?

I intended to use a ESP8266 with a UNO

This is the project I wanted to copy:

There is another example in Youtube, where the guy also uses a ESP8266 library with the UNO and a ESP8266.

Ok. That should be fine. You're programming an Uno, which has a WiFi shield that happens to have an ESP chip on it. (pert's question was very pertinent.)

The confusion comes from the ESP being programmable. You can often get all of your program onto the ESP and don't need the Uno at all.

I would start from where you got the shield from to get the library.

MorganS:
You can often get all of your program onto the ESP and don't need the Uno at all.

It constantly amazes me that people choose to write their main application code on an 8-bit / 16 MHz / 2 KB RAM AVR processor and use a 32-bit / 80 MHz / 32+ KB RAM ESP as a humble WiFi modem. Then, to add to the insanity, they run crummy SoftwareSerial on the Uno in order to communicate with the ESP.

The Arduino ESP core is quite good and can be used to create the entire application (including WiFi) all on one device.

It constantly amazes me that people choose to write their main application code on an 8-bit / 16 MHz / 2 KB RAM AVR processor and use a 32-bit / 80 MHz / 32+ KB RAM ESP as a humble WiFi modem.

But the Arduino has more pins. 8)

5V pins too!

Herrid:
I intended to use a ESP8266 with a UNO

The only way the ESP8266WiFi library would be relevant for that usage would be if you were installing a custom firmware. The ESP8266WiFi library could be used for the sketch that you uploaded to the ESP8266. You cannot use that library in any sketch you upload to your Uno.

However, usually when people are using an ESP8266 with an Uno, they use the AT firmware on the ESP8266. The ESP8266 modules usually come with the AT firmware pre-installed so you don't ever need to worry about programming the ESP8266, only the Uno. For that usage, I recommend this library:

As long as you don't need to program the ESP8266, you can use the Arduino Web Editor if you like, since the Uno is supported by Arduino Web Editor.

Herrid:
Blynk Example Browser

That code is written for a standalone ESP8266. You can't use it on your Uno.

Herrid:
There is another example in Youtube, where the guy also uses a ESP8266 library with the UNO and a ESP8266.

Please post a link to it.