Newbie Project - Measuring Sodium level of water + Bluetooth

Hi,

This is my first project with arduino and I would like to have an arduino that would run on battery, that measures (to start) Sodium level present in water, as well provide that information through bluetooth.

After looking at the arduino store, I see there are dozens of controllers, which I am not entirely sure which one is suitable for me, the same applies for the shields ( to add bluetooth).

Could anyone provide any documentation or guidance to which controllers/shields I should go for?

Thank you in advance!

Kind Regards Junio

I imagine this is a portable device and a shield for bluetooth is hardly warranted. You might be better off using a cheap module, which would be about a quarter the size of a shield. You can get a BLE module for about $10 which , as it is named, is a very low power device.

Thanks Nick, I will probably just go for an arduino uno to begin with with a BLE module.

Also, would you happen to know if we can alter a Temperature/EC probe from being a "stick" to a circular sensor? Meaning I would like to measure the liquid that is flowing down instead of the liquid inside a bottle ( for example)

sounds like you have a neat project.

first things first, get it to work. get it to sample with the accuracy you want and get the blue tooth to communicate.

you will have to design your own board for the battery operation as every standard arduino is designed for high power consumption and not for battery applications.

you will have to design and build your own housing, probably not that hard with a 3-d printer.

as for the sensor, you may find one, or you may have to design that as well. chances are there is on with your specs.

the project will need to go through different phases, but the end result is possible.

I would look at a bluetooth headset for a miniaturized unit. the input for that is the microphone, but you should be able to hack that to use your sensor.

juniobranco:
Also, would you happen to know if we can alter a Temperature/EC probe from being a “stick” to a circular sensor? Meaning I would like to measure the liquid that is flowing down instead of the liquid inside a bottle ( for example)

I can’t see the point of your question. A “stick” shaped sensor is quite capable of measuring flowing liquid.

Hi dave and Nick,

Thank you both for your reply.

In regards to the "stick" shaped sensor, the reason why I would like a "circular" shaped, its to cover a wider surface area.

Kind Regards Junio

How do you detect only the sodium ions?

juniobranco: Hi dave and Nick,

Thank you both for your reply.

In regards to the "stick" shaped sensor, the reason why I would like a "circular" shaped, its to cover a wider surface area.

Kind Regards Junio

I think all ions follow the rules of partial pressures. this basically says that all of one type of molecule will try to create an equidistant proximity from all surrounding of the same molecules. if you find a vast majority of sensors of a certain surface area, you can expect that that surface area is enough to repeatedly detect that molecule.

How do you tell just the sodium ions from potassium, calcium, etc with an Arduino?

Because if it's just NaCl in distilled water then conductivity might do.