Newbie Question Concerning Power Output from board

so i did some research here and there and cant find much about my simple question, most of the topics i found dealt with a bit more complicated stuff.

What im trying to do is run a relay off the arduino so i can run a bit higher voltage to my motor , (12v motor with 12v battery power source and 5v relays to control the direction of the power with the help of the arduino)

my question was, i tried reading the examples and such for powering from the board at the pins, i found out that the digital pins are not something to use for powering things requiring up to 40ma and that the analog pins did this job, now what the question is that, would i only have to set the one pin to an OUTPUT and HIGH as the positive for 5 volts to the relay and another pin as the INPUT and LOW for the negative side?

No, use a transistor to sink current thru the relay coil. Arduino outputs then control the transistor turning off & on.

ah nice! had to look up what a transistor actually was, so using the transistor i would really only need to use one pin on the board to power the transistor and make it work like a switch through the gate then and have the transistor complete the circuit with the coil through its source and drain

i found out that the digital pins are not something to use for powering things requiring up to 40ma and that the analog pins did this job,

???
I think you found this wrong.

then and have the transistor complete the circuit with the coil through its source and drain

Those all belong on a FET, yes it is called a transistor but when people say transistor they mean a bipolar one with emitter, base and collector, not gate drain & source.