Newbie question on modifying servo to be used as DC motor

Hi all, nice interesting forum!
I apologize for this very basic question.
I am in the middle of modifying a high-torque servo motor for continuous rotation. My application will be for a standalone rotating camera on a tripod, so all I need to have is a small battery pack connected to the servo through an on-off button. When I push the button the camera rotates, and it stops when released. Very simple.

I've read how to modify a servo for continuous rotation, however for what I understood the modified servo will still need a servo controller, as a PWM signal will still be needed to drive it (right?).

So, I thought, what if I connect the battery/button directly the small DC motor inside the servo bypassing the entire inside circuitry? I should be left with a small DC geared motor driven directly via battery, right?

My concerns:

Any problem with voltage (I am using a 4xAA total 6V batteries)? will the dc motor accept the same voltage applied to the circuitry or will I run into problems?

Any other problems (protection, overcurrents etc)? Is it all a crazy idea?

Just for reference, servo is SM-S4315R by SpringRC, accepting the usual 4.8V-6V.

Any help is much appreciated!

I have recently been taking servos apart to make use of their small motors in a model train. What you suggest should work fine. I would be inclined to use 4.5v, but 6v is probably fine. My trains use a single cell LiPo battery which is just 3.6v.

I don't know if it matters in your application but if you use the servo electronics (with a PWM signal) the servo will actively hold its position against attempts to move it. You will be able to move the unpowered servo by hand. However the servo electronics might introduce jitter.

...R