Newbie question

Hi,

I'm new to Arduino, but have a background in software development.

I'm looking at a project where I want to use an Arduino Nano with a MS5611 barometric sensor and an LED traffic light (reg amber green).

I want to to power it with a CR2032 battery.

Is the Arduino Nano a good choice for this? Or is there a better unit?

many thanks!

The Nano is an excellent choice, the CR2032 less so.
A 3.3V Pro Mini might be a better choice.

thanks,

should I be looking at a LIPO battery?

Does a CR2032 power the Pro Mini?

It will power it, but not for long.
What are you trying to do?

Its basically to read atmospheric pressure and monitor changes then feedback those chages to the LED's.

So if it goes up then green light, if it goes down then Red light.

CR2032 cells do not have a lot of current capacity, so you may find that you are having to replace them often. A pair of AA batteries may be a better choice, if you can afford the additional space

Is there an equivalent LIPO battery that would do the same as two AA's?

skyboyflyboy:
Is there an equivalent LIPO battery that would do the same as two AA's?

I found these batteries on Adafruit. Two AA batteries in series would provide roughly 3V and 2500mAh. A CR2032 is 3V, 200mAh or so. These batteries are 3.7V and various mAh capacities, so you may have to do some calculations to see what current capacity you will need. Give these a look through and let me know

Thanks.

It's early stages yet and it's my first Arduino project, but excited about the project ahead!

I assume with the LIPO's you can recharge them through a micro USB port? Does it take any extra programming to get Arduino to handle this?

skyboyflyboy:
I assume with the LIPO's you can recharge them through a micro USB port? Does it take any extra programming to get Arduino to handle this?

I have never used LiPos for my projects so I can't really give an answer on that. I looked through the batteries and this charger is recommended.

I have no idea about Arduino programming to support recharging. You'd have to ask someone with more experience on that

I would start by getting the project working with a wall plug supply and worry about batteries later .
I say this as you might then want to look at power saving techniques - flashing the leds instead of steady , powering down your sensor for most of the time an so on. Then you can determine what battery you might need based on power consumption