Newbie Questions regarding faisability of a cooool project :-)

Hi Arduino Community :slight_smile:

For the 100 years of my grand mother, I would love to make an - crazy - but fun & interesting project :slight_smile:

But I don't know if it is possible and realistic - I've no notions of arduino -.

I would like to make a website (i'm an owner of a digital agency) and communication around this operation (on my vulontary time).

This object will have an power efficient and autonomous system with GPS integrated. It will travel the world between hands of hands :slight_smile:

DO you think this is something doable ?

Thanks all for your advices for making the 100 years on my grand mother awesome :slight_smile:

Cheers !

. It will travel the world between hands of hands :

What does that mean?

If you want to know about whether or not your idea is feasible then you should probably tell us less about your grandma and more about what you want this thing to do. You haven't made that very clear at all.

Okay, sorry about my poor english. Trying to do the best I can :slight_smile:

The goal of this : trying to make an object autonomous and trackable.

The object will travel the world through the people who brings it with them (when they walk, travel etc).

The object will by tracked and we'll be able to see the path it did through a map on Google.

(Hope that's much clearer ? :-/ )

So, a bit like the garden gnome in AmΓ©lie, but electronic?

It would be fairly trivial to set up a device with a GPS and an SD card such that every so often it grabs its gps coordinates and logs them to the SD card. That project has been done a great number of times and I'm sure if you spend a little time with google you can find many examples.

Getting hat data later and displaying it on google maps isn't really an Arduino question.

Spot Trace. On sale, too!

Sadly, it can't mail back picture postcards of itself, like Amelie's gnome.

The problem with that... It is my grandma will have 100 years next year :slight_smile: And I would like it to travel this year until her birthday. :-/

If you plan on transmitting the location data wirelessly then you dramatically increase the power consumption.

It sounds feasible, but I have a couple of concerns:

Connecting "worldwide" could be a challenge, especially if it has to be autonomous. I assume you are thinking Wi-Fi or the Cell phone network? I don't travel that much, and I don't know what's involved in global plans, or if you can use the same SIM card everywhere or if you have to activate when you change countries, etc. Or maybe you can count on the "hands" also having a phone with Bluetooth, but that's less autonomous. For Wi-Fi, you usually need a password, or with free Wi-Fi there are sometimes log-on procedures.

This object will have an power efficient and autonomous system with GPS integrated

Transmitters tend not to be "efficient". How long does your phone go without a recharge? My watch can go for years on a replaceable battery, but an Apple Watch has to be re-charged every day. Although... you could "sleep" most of the time, and only power-up to get a location & transmit a programmed-number of times per day, etc.

It will travel the world between hands of hands :slight_smile:

You'll have to trust those "hands". Do you know what happened to HitchBOT? (He got murdered in one of America's most dangerous cities.)

Thanks all for your answer.

DVDDoug, you understood exactly what I'm trying to do. That's quite the same as the HitchBOT, excepts, it as to be smaller :slight_smile:

I thought using a www.sigfox.com component for this.

The goal of this object it to "survive" one year.

apsylone:
The problem with that... It is my grandma will have 100 years next year :slight_smile: And I would like it to travel this year until her birthday. :-/

Isn't that the sort of thing you could do with a GPS equipped smart-phone? Take pictures with the location included?

...R

Grandma is 99 years old. Don't hand her a smartphone. That's just mean.

Delta_G:
Grandma is 99 years old. Don't hand her a smartphone. That's just mean.

I had no idea the OP was planning to make something to be used by Grandma, I thought he was going to use it and then present Grandma with the results at her birthday party.

...R

Robin2:
I had no idea the OP was planning to make something to be used by Grandma, I thought he was going to use it and then present Grandma with the results at her birthday party.

…R

You get the idea. The idea is the same as HitchBOT. An object travelling alone with the help of unknown people.