newbie questions.....

hello, firstly can i say how impressed i am at this project!! t looks perfect for anumber of projects i have in mind! :smiley: well done guys!!!!

anyway, i've been reading alot about the wiring and arduino boards, and i'd rather go witht he arduino(mainly cos its cheaper and i wont have to pay import duty).

one project i have in mind is a 16 by 8 led matrix (two 8x8 matrixs hooked together) to display pre programmed patterns upon command via a midi signal from ableton Live. would the arduino board be able to handle two such matrix's?

once i get this sorted, i plan to move the project into bi-colour leds and then full colour leds. would arduino be able to see it all the way through witht he number of outputs it has?

cheers in advance for any help or advice you have, i look forward to hearing from you!! :smiley:

thanks,

bod.

one project i have in mind is a 16 by 8 led matrix (two 8x8 matrixs hooked together) to display pre programmed patterns upon command via a midi signal from ableton Live. would the arduino board be able to handle two such matrix's?

Hello I'm very interested in using MIDI with Arduino, but I wasn´t able to make it works.
This is my last code for a simple test that consists in playing a note half a second and a silence :

int ledPin = 13;
int midiPin = 2;                 

void setup() 
{
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);              // initializes digital pin 13 as output
  pinMode(midiPin, OUTPUT);                // initializes digital pin 2 as input
  beginSerial(31250);
}

void loop() 
{
  // Send Note On Message
  serialWrite (145); // Note on message (9) over channel 1
  serialWrite (60);  // Note number 0..127 (0x40 == 64)
  serialWrite (100); // Note volume 0..127 (0x70 == 112)
  digitalWrite (ledPin, HIGH);
   delay (500);

// Send Note Off Message
  serialWrite (129); // Note off message (8) over channel 1
  serialWrite (60);  // Note number 0..12 (0x40 == 64)
  digitalWrite (ledPin, LOW);
  delay (500);

}

I've have tested it with a RS232 terminal and midi messages seem to be OK, but unfortunately my mide devices didn't respond to these messages. Now I`m trying to contact an old mate from the univerity in order to take a look with a logic analyzer. I will notify here anyu advance and ideas are welcome too.
Cheers

so are you actually sending the midi note from the arduino board to an external device?

that sounds interesting! ;D is this part of a bigger project?

that sounds interesting! is this part of a bigger project?

Yes, I´m currently projecting a kind of soundscape for an art exhibition. I would preffer to use Reaktor instead Pure data for this, because I have never worked with PD and I manage with Reaktor quite well (also, I have to recover my Reaktor license ;)).

I any case, I have to fix up this Arduino application before.

You have given me an idea: I will try to listen midi messages in my board. I will post in this topic any (un- or succesfull result).

Hej,

Yes, no problem at all if you make use of a MAX7219 LED driver. We have some code examples we will include in the next release Arduino-0003 for this particular case.

/David

cool, cheers david!

will version 3 support wiring code? as theres a good program for running these 8x8 matrices that i found written by zambetti.

http://www.potemkin.org/cms/Wiring/MAX7219

thanks, and happy new year! ;D

Hej,

we have revised that code to work with Arduino, that is exactly what I meant :wink:

/David