Newbie questions

Hi all im thinking of buying an Arduino but unsure which one.
Im only just getting into programming, so a bit lost in the subject, done some modifying of other people’s work but would like to do some of my own work now.

I think I have a grasp on some of it, programming that is, diagrams/schematics I’m ok with, built many projects over the years but it is been my job and business for 30 years mainly in the rework side of the industry.

So I have some questions about the Arduino system if anyone can help or point me some ware to get the answers I seek.

One is looking at the latest revision of the basic Arduino with USB on board that’s named Uno,

I see it comes with a atmega328 processor is this the only processor that I can use wit the Arduino Uno, I ask as the pin out appears to be the same as the atmega168 processor this is one processor I’ve used before and have many projects I would like to continue with.

If one installs a program into an Arduino Uno using the free download software Arduino sketch can one just pull the processor and use it in a permanent device.

The free download software Arduino sketch does it load a HEX file into the processor on the Arduino Uno or some other kind of file. If it up loads a HEX that answers my pull the processor question.

Is there a full diagram/schematic for the Arduino Uno as it would help me understand how it all works?

I think that’s all I need for now any help will be appreciated.

I see it comes with a atmega328 processor is this the only processor that I can use wit the Arduino Uno, I ask as the pin out appears to be the same as the atmega168 processor this is one processor I’ve used before and have many projects I would like to continue with.

The difference between the 168 and the 328 is the amount of flash memory and SRAM that the chip has. Otherwise, they are identical.

If one installs a program into an Arduino Uno using the free download software Arduino sketch can one just pull the processor and use it in a permanent device.

Yes. You’ll need a few extra components, like a regulated power supply and an external crystal and capacitors, but it’s pretty simple. Search for “stand-alone”.

The free download software Arduino sketch does it load a HEX file into the processor on the Arduino Uno or some other kind of file. If it up loads a HEX that answers my pull the processor question.

It uploads a hex file.

Is there a full diagram/schematic for the Arduino Uno as it would help me understand how it all works?

Yes. Look here http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno for:

Schematic & Reference Design

EAGLE files: arduino-uno-reference-design.zip

Schematic: arduino-uno-schematic.pdf

Thanks PaulS will buy it now.