Newbie: Specific Game Show Buzzers

Hi everyone, I'm really just at the researching Arduino point so far, I've never used an Arduino before, but I'm wondering how possible or difficult this might be. Here's what I'm looking for:

-Basic game show lockout that would transmit either a controller button press or keypress based on who buzzed in first to a Mac.

-Also would be able to light up some LED strip lights for three seconds after player buzzes in. Bonus if the lights can be made to do a chase pattern, and possibly a display mode where the lights just chase or flash when the game isn't being played.

I've been able to fashion something using an arcade to USB PCB and software that performs lockout duties for me, but I'd like to be able to control lights.

So my questions are: Can it be done? And how difficult would this be for a beginner?

Thanks for the help/advice

Yeah, definitely doable.

You could use WS2812B light strip to get the lighting effects and chase pattern.

DrAzzy, thanks for the reply. I was hoping maybe I could use standard LED strips available on Amazon, because the lights will illuminate a 3.5'x4' area on the front of a podium. Using those small LEDs would get a bit pricey to get the desired effect.

Both normal (RGB, 12v, all LEDs show same color) LED strips and WS2812B (5v, each LED can show different color) LED strips are available from Amazon (the normal ones are of course somewhat cheaper) and ebay (ebay being cheaper).

The RGB strip and WS2812B strip are about the same brightness, and both can be controlled from Arduino.

For WS2812B, you need a beefy 5v supply (~1A / 20 LEDs), and controlling more than a couple hundred of them is difficult from an Arduino, because you run out of SRAM for the buffer. This uses one arduino pin (I’d probably have one strip per person each on it’s own pin, and run the same routines to generate the chase, and which player hit the buzzer would just determine which pin, and hence which strip, it would use)

For 12V RGB strip, you need a beefy 12v supply (~1A/60 LEDs, since they’re wired up in groups of 3 in series), and three logic level MOSFETs (one per color) for each strip; each of these requires a pin. So if you’ve got 3 players, and each get an RGB strip to do the light show, you’re using 9 pins for it.