newbie   xbee problem

I have bought the sparkfun usb explorer but i do get messages that I cannot communicate with modem

I have 4 xbee modules 2 with chip antennas and 2 with whip antennas Those with the chip antennas manage to communicate with x-ctu once every ten tries and I got that I have XB24-B version 2864 I have tried unplugging and replugging the usb but no difference

The modules with the whip antennas communicate always with no problems! they are XB24-B version 2241

Is the version that causes the problem?? can you propose a solution please?

Thank you

Are you sure that the xbee chips ones were set up correctly using x-ctu?

Mowcius

I haven't been able to do any setup myself :(

all chips are new out of the box....

Ok, plug in each of the xbees in turn to the USB regulator and connect to them uisng x-ctu. You then need to set them up as the right stuff...

Hang on, trying to find a page to explain it to you...

[edit]Here we go, this should help: http://www.ladyada.net/make/xbee/configure.html

Scroll down to where it says Upgrading with X-CTU[/edit]

Mowcius

thank you for your replies mowcius

I have found the procedure to update the firmware but the problem is that I cannot communicate with 2 of my xbees (those with the new firmware and the chip antenna) I get a message that I cannot communicate with the modem most of the times and when I tried to update the firmware I got a communication error again!!

using the xbees with the whip antenna that have older firmware I have no communication problems!! that's what confuses me!!

I also removed the processor from the arduino board, i placed an xbee shield and tried to communicate using x-ctu and I was getting the communication error message with ALL my xbees even those that with the usb explorer where communicating!!

I get a message that I cannot communicate with the modem most of the times and when I tried to update the firmware I got a communication error again!!

Umm, afraid I don’t know then, sorry :-[

Maybe someone else knows? :smiley:

Mowcius

Your version numbers don't sound right. What does the back of the chips say - e.g. XB24-Bxxx what is the xxx?

Presumably it will say in the x-ctu setup when it recognises the xbees...

Mowcius

Thank you all for the replies... The guys from digi gave me the answer so I post it here for future reference..

the modules were in sleep mode and needed reset to wake up!!

Harry

Thanks for the info!