Next challenge: the proto shields

No, I sell them via e-mail for ordering and paypal for payment.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/

1 Like

But they're not, you see. The "regular" photo boards I have DO have tracks: some general purpose, and a bunch for Vcc and Gnd. These are extremely usable!

That's inspiring!

By the way, my lightning detector box is almost done. It's for my ham radio equipment, where lightning is a real and present danger. The problem is, testing it - the only REAL test is an actual thunderstorm and it seems that 99% of them approach Ottawa, and then bend RIGHT around it on both sides. Very frustrating because testing it fully will probably take me the rest of the year!

lightning-box-small.pdf (919.9 KB)

1 Like

Ah well, there you go then, I forgot to say "essentially", and you can bridge the rest of the holes as you see fit.

Yup, and as you see I used wires!

If I see your pictures, your soldering iron seems to be not at the right temperature. (a lot of splashes)
Essential is also the use of flux, flux may help you when solder has difficulties sticking and flowing.
I use small wires that come from a monopole 250A flexible cable, they are very handy.

Brass spacers from aliexpress you can use to solder the back without damaging the components on the other side.

maybe try a different type of board ?

1 Like

it may be that the boards are the problem. try without them ?

6 Likes

Yup. I was looking for a screw terminal board with tracks, originally.

What temperature do you suggest: hotter or colder? I'll give that a try.

..as you see, 200 years from now we will go back to discrete components!

2 Likes

Look at the spec of your solder, specifications can help.

I am using an old roll of thin tin/lead solder (63/37).

I guess when that runs out it's going to have to be healthy solder :slight_smile:

Why? 60/40 adn 63/37 are still readily available.

Yes, 63/37 gives great results.

Nice to have a bit of liquid flux on your work bench also.

Can get a flux pen and some flux paste too.

1 Like

FYI

Don’t forget the IPA too.

1 Like