NG: not found by computer

Hello,
I have an arduino NG with an Atmega168 and it used to work pretty well, till today.

When I plug it in my computer using a usb cabel thats certainly ok, the PWR Led turns on, the RX/TX Leds flicker shortly and my program seems to boot. But the board is no longer found by my computer (windows XP) nor my notebook (linux)

Whats wrong with my arduino and can I fix it?
Any help is appreciated, I really need it for a school project thats due friday…

Im not really good at electronics, but have an pc-based oscilloscope, if needed for troubleshooting…

tia
Felix

Hi, here is a simple test you can run on Linux. Plug your arduino in and then run the command sudo dmesg in a console window. The messages at the very end of the output should look similar to this here

[  185.350000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[  185.350000] drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
[  185.350000] Doing delayed copyup of a read-write file on a read-only branch.
[  185.360000] drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
[  185.360000] ftdi_sio 1-2:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[  185.360000] drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: Detected FT232RL
[  185.360000] usb 1-2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[  185.360000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
[  185.360000] drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: v1.4.3:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver

What does it look like on your notebook?

Eberhard

[  285.950000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[  285.950000] drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
[  298.930000] drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
[  298.930000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
[  298.930000] drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: v1.4.3:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver

..and usbviewer doesn't find it either..

If there are any traces of the arduino on the USB-Bus this command should print it. sudo lsusb -vvv -d0403:6001

If not, here is my Top-Five of "USB-Device does not work (but used to last week)" - 1. Device is not plugged into the computer directly any more, since I got that new USB-Hub - 2. The USB-socket on the Computer/Hub is worn out. (Whoever designed these USB-Connectors your are arrgghgtr!!) - 3. Cable is broken (Most people expect this to be the top-scorer, but no the Type A socket is the root of evil) - 4. Yes, I updated the system just recently - 5. The USB-device is actually broken

Eberhard

There are no traces of the board on either System...

The Board is pluged in directly into the computer (actually I tried pluggin it into 3 different computers), I tried 2 differnet cabels that both work with my printer, and I didn't change any of these 3 systems..

So what could be broken on the Board and is there a way to fix it?

tia Felix

Can you measure +5v on the board?