Nichrome wire

Hi,

i am trying to build a dryer machine with nichrome wire as the heating element. This is the first time i am using arduino and nichrome wire so i am not very sure about the connection to it.
This is the basic circuit i found for the connection of the motor.dummies - Learning Made Easy

Questions:
How do i connect nichrome wire to this circuit? as i do not want the nichrome wire to be heated all way.

Thanks!

Nichrome wire is simply a resistor in a wire form. You would connect it as you would any other resistor.

The detail is however how much power you will be needing. The wire has a fixed resistance per metre for the wire you choose. First choose your wire to get the resistance. You then need to know the power to be dissipated in the heater and the voltage you will feed it with. From this and Ohms Law you can work out how long the wire needs to be and the current draw.

As an example, if the resistance is 1 ohm per metre, using 12v supply and wanting 60 watts, you will be drawing 5 Amps. As R=E/I, the resistance required will be 12/5 ohms = 2.4 ohm. At 1 ohm per metre, you require 2.4 metre.

The Arduino cannot handle this current so you will need a relay or power MOSFET to switch the current.

You can use any output pin to switch the relay etc as required by your program.

Weedpharma

This is a useful little calculator.
calculate temp,volts etc.. for nichrome.

weedpharma:
Nichrome wire is simply a resistor in a wire form. You would connect it as you would any other resistor.

The detail is however how much power you will be needing. The wire has a fixed resistance per metre for the wire you choose. First choose your wire to get the resistance. You then need to know the power to be dissipated in the heater and the voltage you will feed it with. From this and Ohms Law you can work out how long the wire needs to be and the current draw.

As an example, if the resistance is 1 ohm per metre, using 12v supply and wanting 60 watts, you will be drawing 5 Amps. As R=E/I, the resistance required will be 12/5 ohms = 2.4 ohm. At 1 ohm per metre, you require 2.4 metre.

The Arduino cannot handle this current so you will need a relay or power MOSFET to switch the current.

You can use any output pin to switch the relay etc as required by your program.

Weedpharma

Thank you for your reply.

Questions:
If i connect it as like other resistor, will it be heated up all the way when connected with power supply?? Because what i am trying is to use a sensor to activate. Only when the sensor activate, it will heat up the nichrome wire and turn the motor. if not nothing will happen.

siiver:
If i connect it as like other resistor, will it be heated up all the way when connected with power supply?? Because what i am trying is to use a sensor to activate. Only when the sensor activate, it will heat up the nichrome wire and turn the motor. if not nothing will happen.

The heat generated is dependent on the current passing through it, the length and the guage of wire. That's why I posted the link to the calculator.

siiver:
Thank you for your reply.

Questions:

Use your sensor to detect what ever you want. If you require the heater on, simply turn on an output to drive a relay (via a transistor or FET) to connect power to the nichrome wire. Use another output to start the motor at the same time.

Once the power supply is connected to the nichrome wire, current will flow through it and it will heat up. As the current flows through the full length of the wire and it has the same resistance per metre over the full length, it should heat evenly over the full length.

Weedpharma

i am trying to build a dryer machine with nichrome wire as the heating element. This is the first time i am using arduino and nichrome wire so i am not very sure about the connection to it.

If you don’t have experience in what you are trying to do, then you might should incorporate proven products in your project. You don’t give sufficient details on your dryer to have any reasonably accurate technical answers (you drying fingernail polish, cloths, tonnes of fruit…?)