nightmare with arduino can't create folder then admin now can't copy

Windows 10 nearly clean install meaning I've hardly used this machine yet.

Installed IDE then didn't use it so removed. Then again. Finally I decided to give it a shot. I ran it 2-3 times fine. Then it bombed out saying it couldn't create some file. Then even after rebooting AND reinstall I get splash screen then nothing. Someone online said run as admin. Yay it worked exept now it FORCES me to do it and even as admin I was copying gitub code and windows started barking it can't move .yaml file and all sorts of nightmares so once again I've unsinstalled Arduino and am wondering where its lurking in registry or somewhere else otherwise it wouldn't know to bomb again on reinstall would it?

How do I fix or do I abandon and go back to just the pi?

you could reinstal Windows 10 - click Settings > Update & Security > Recovery then reset the machine

fscii: am wondering where its lurking in registry or somewhere else otherwise it wouldn't know to bomb again on reinstall would it?

When you have a problem with the Arduino IDE seeming to not uninstall it's caused by the program leaving behind it's internal files in a special folder rather than something in the registry. On windows these files are located at: C:\Users{username}\AppData\Local\Arduino15

Note that the AppData folder is hidden by Windows by default. You need to change your Windows Explorer preferences to show hidden files and folders.

Or if you installed the Windows App Store version of the Arduino IDE I believe it's at: C:\Users{username}\Documents\ArduinoData\packages

I recommend using the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" download rather than "Windows Installer, for Windows XP and up". The former will not write anything to your registry.

If you want to try again we can definitely help you but we need to to be very methodical in the process and report exact details of what you did and what problem you encountered.

pert: When you have a problem with the Arduino IDE seeming to not uninstall it's caused by the program leaving behind it's internal files in a special folder rather than something in the registry. On windows these files are located at: C:\Users{username}\AppData\Local\Arduino15

Note that the AppData folder is hidden by Windows by default. You need to change your Windows Explorer preferences to show hidden files and folders.

Or if you installed the Windows App Store version of the Arduino IDE I believe it's at: C:\Users{username}\Documents\ArduinoData\packages

I recommend using the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" download rather than "Windows Installer, for Windows XP and up". The former will not write anything to your registry.

If you want to try again we can definitely help you but we need to to be very methodical in the process and report exact details of what you did and what problem you encountered.

It worked., I think I love you

lol thank you Shannon!

I installed earlier, loaded it and it went fine so i posted. I did nothing but exit. I just went to use it and it gave me the same error that started the entire fiasco

"Arduino could not run because it could not create a folder to store your sketchbook"

I have plenty of space and do not understand why this is happening again?

By default the Arduino IDE creates a folder used for the sketchbook at C:\Users{user name}\Documents\Arduino (or whatever the equivalent is on your system). It seems that for some reason your user does not have permissions to create that folder or else that location is not accessible.

It is possible to change the sketchbook location but that is easiest to accomplish via the Arduino IDE (File > Preferences > Sketchbook Location). Since you can't currently start the Arduino IDE, it might be easiest to try a workaround by putting the Arduino IDE in portable mode. To do this you only need to create a folder named portable inside the Arduino IDE installation folder. That will cause the sketchbook to initially be located inside the portable folder, though you can change it to any location you like later via Preferences.

pert: By default the Arduino IDE creates a folder used for the sketchbook at C:\Users{user name}\Documents\Arduino (or whatever the equivalent is on your system). It seems that for some reason your user does not have permissions to create that folder or else that location is not accessible.

It is possible to change the sketchbook location but that is easiest to accomplish via the Arduino IDE (File > Preferences > Sketchbook Location). Since you can't currently start the Arduino IDE, it might be easiest to try a workaround by putting the Arduino IDE in portable mode. To do this you only need to create a folder named portable inside the Arduino IDE installation folder. That will cause the sketchbook to initially be located inside the portable folder, though you can change it to any location you like later via Preferences.

Actually that's exactly what I was doing when I reinstalled! I followed directions above to get rid of that user data folder sketchbook area and then rebooted, reinstalled and prior to launching put in the portable folder i saw somewhere online. It worked, I closed it and went about my day. Came back to launch and boom it happened again. By the way it did create that folder,

Why God? WHY???

Windows 10 is very restrictive of the C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) folders. When you use the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" version of the Arduino IDE you are not required to store the Arduino IDE in a specific location. If you have put the Arduino IDE installation in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) try moving it somewhere else and then see if it will start.

"Your" computer? Hardly. Windows 10 is only allowing you to use it. I had a lot of issues loading programs on it, Arduino IDE being one of them. IIRC, I had to run as admin, disable the MacAfee, and do the app instead of the download.

Me and Win10 have a hate/hate relationship. One day I'm going to just going to cave and learn Linux.

pert: Windows 10 is very restrictive of the C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) folders. When you use the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" version of the Arduino IDE you are not required to store the Arduino IDE in a specific location. If you have put the Arduino IDE installation in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) try moving it somewhere else and then see if it will start.

I will have time in a bit to play with it again but for some reason the library insists on the /arduino/portable thing.... and my first install overlooked that. So I uninstalled, reinstalled and I did the portable folder thing and have been having this nightmare ever since. I''m not sure why they want the portable folder before the first run of arduino and then going straight into giving a new info to get more boards on board manager list. Before I diod all of that but not the portable. whats the difference and why would it keep blowing me up?

tinman13kup: "Your" computer? Hardly. Windows 10 is only allowing you to use it. I had a lot of issues loading programs on it, Arduino IDE being one of them. IIRC, I had to run as admin, disable the MacAfee, and do the app instead of the download.

Me and Win10 have a hate/hate relationship. One day I'm going to just going to cave and learn Linux.

Don't get me started on MY computer where they add the cost of proprietary HDMI that I end up paying extra for just so they can make sure its HDCI encrypted so I can't use my own equipment that I paid for, however I see fit. We have this thing called freeom, or used to anyway. If I want to risk going to jail thats my choice if I want to dig a hole and bury it its my choice. So I always look for Displayport and DVI screw them. And that's only the beginning of it. That's what got me back tgo Arduino after doing it for like 2 months years ago. Flashing iots so I don't have to have my life on the cloud and someone in china knowing what time I turn my lights on and off etc.

Get a raspberry pi or even an oDroid and run linux. I just did that myseld and am stumbling and fumbling my way back to freedom.

fscii: for some reason the library insists on the /arduino/portable thing....

Which library?

fscii: whats the difference and why would it keep blowing me up?

The difference between what?

I'm also not a fan of Windows 10 but the Program Files restriction thing hasn't been much of a problem for me yet. At least this was done with good intentions (security) unlike all the idiotic "features" Microsoft forced on me.