Nixie tube scoreboard

Hello,
I was wondering if someone might be able to help me with a project I’d like to try and build myself. I’ve done a little research already but please understand I’ve never done anything like this before. I would like to make a Nixie tube scoreboard for my shuffleboard table, I do know it would probably be much easier to use an LCD display but I want this to be somewhat unique and have this project have an old turn of the century feel to it because the shuffleboard table i have is an original 1940 table that just finished restoring. My idea is to use Nixie tubes to display the score for two separate teams, which would require four Nixie tubes because while playing shuffleboard the goal is to get 21 points before the other team. To input the score I was thinking of using three buttons per team, one button to add points, one to subtract points and one to reset the score. Obviously that would require six total buttons or five buttons if the reset button can reset both scores. I’ve seen a ton of Arduino Nixie tube clock kits but I’m unsure if it would be easier to use one of those kits and try to rewrite the software and add the control buttons or would it be easier/cost effective to start from scratch? I’ve never done anything like this before so I’m a little overwhelmed where to even start and I would greatly appreciate any help. I’ve been trying to research this for a few days and I’m not sure where to go or even where to look. Thank you

The clock kit may well provide the hardware you need - nixies need an interface to the Arduino as well as a high voltage supply .
This provides some useful data
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Control-a-Nixie-Tube-with-an-Arduino/%3Famp_page=true

It might be worth googling the clock aspect to get some code tips

Zippeay:
I’ve seen a ton of Arduino Nixie tube clock kits but I’m unsure if it would be easier to use one of those kits and try to rewrite the software and add the control buttons or would it be easier/cost effective to start from scratch?

Absolutely easier to use a ready-made kit if you can get one.

All you need is the circuit of the device using the Arduino, and you can code for it.

Older Nixie drivers used 7441s. If you want to drive Nixies nowadays, you would use TPIC6B595s though each has only 8 outputs. You would then use five chained together and controlled by three Arduino pins, to fully drive four Nixies. Mind you, if you never show more than "29" on each pair of Nixies, three TPIC6B595s (and two 24 V Zeners) would suffice.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

Hello,
I was wondering if someone might be able to help me with a project I’d like to try and build myself.

I’ve done a little research already but please understand I’ve never done anything like this before.

I would like to make a Nixie tube scoreboard for my shuffleboard table, I do know it would probably be much easier to use an LCD display but I want this to be somewhat unique and have this project have an old turn of the century feel to it because the shuffleboard table i have is an original 1940 table that just finished restoring.

My idea is to use Nixie tubes to display the score for two separate teams, which would require four Nixie tubes because while playing shuffleboard the goal is to get 21 points before the other team.

To input the score I was thinking of using three buttons per team, one button to add points, one to subtract points and one to reset the score.

Obviously that would require six total buttons or five buttons if the reset button can reset both scores. I’ve seen a ton of Arduino Nixie tube clock kits but I’m unsure if it would be easier to use one of those kits and try to rewrite the software and add the control buttons or would it be easier/cost effective to start from scratch?

I’ve never done anything like this before so I’m a little overwhelmed where to even start and I would greatly appreciate any help. I’ve been trying to research this for a few days and I’m not sure where to go or even where to look.

Thank you

Sorry I had to get it into some sport of point form.

A ready made clock kit would be the answer, as previously pointed out, there is some high voltage control needed and that interface would be the hardest to implement.

You could use arcade style buttons to round the look of the project off.
arcadeb.JPG

Tom… :slight_smile:

I personally wouldn't use the TPIC6B595 hack as 50V is not within the specs to reliably operate turn off
a cathode, especially with larger tubes run at higher voltage and power.

Remember that a Nixie power supply is using potentially lethal voltages, and take appropriate
precautions.

Thank you everyone for replying. I’ll keep doing more research from you suggestions and if I do figure out how to make this work and actually build it then I’ll post some pictures of it. Most of this is way over my head but hopefully I can learn some new things and make his work.

If you can build one of these up, then it would be not too hard to program it to display button push results instead of a running time.