Nixie Tubes Radioactive?

Hi, I was wondering, are IN-14 Nixie tubes radioactive?

Thanks.

I don't think any of those are radioactive. The only vacuum tube that is hazardous to your health is the old CRT, they can pack a lot of voltage, could injure people if it implodes, and damaged lead coating could cause radiation issue.

I can't imagine that they would be, why are you asking?

The only vacuum tube that is hazardous to your health is the old CRT, they can pack a lot of voltage, could injure people if it implodes, and damaged lead coating could cause radiation issue.

They emit X rays. You make X rays by firing electrons at a target, exactly what happens in a CRT. I think they found way to mitigate the effect in later designs, but I don't have a clue how they did that.

Nixie tube is not radioactive nor produce X rays. There is not enough energy to produce ionizing rays (about 10kV and more is needed for X rays).
Nixie tube is similar to neon glow lamp. It is a cold cathode lamp filled with gas, typically neon with some argon at a low pressure. Mercury is added for longer life. It has one common anode and multiple cathodes in shape of individual characters. Applying voltage between the anode and one cathode, cathode lit up. Better say it is the gas plasma around the cathode. Ignition voltage is about 150-200V a way from 10kV.

Neon glow lamps need an ionization source (or a higher voltage) to start glowing. This can be a problem in dark places such as a cave. To avoid this problem, some neon glow lamps (such as the NE-2R) have some radon gas added. Radon gas is slightly radioactive and thus can be a good ionization source.

vaj4088:
Neon glow lamps need an ionization source (or a higher voltage) to start glowing. This can be a problem in dark places such as a cave. To avoid this problem, some neon glow lamps (such as the NE-2R) have some radon gas added. Radon gas is slightly radioactive and thus can be a good ionization source.

I had no clue about that, ++Karma;
OP, it seems Nixie tubes might be radioactive after all!