No COM Port listed

Win7 64bit PC.

I read some of the posts on this topic but what I tried from reading those posts still didn’t get any COM ports to show in my 1.6.5 Arduino IDE. My Tools->Ports is grayed out.

The odd thing is after updating the com drivers for Arduino Uno, COM4 showed up when I ran my Fritzing app. But still no joy for my Arduino IDE.

So, I’m wondering what else can I check/do?

Thanks…

I have the same problem.

Also Win7 64bit und Problems to install the driver.

Try to update driver, search in ../arduino/driver/ ...but no luck.
Windows doesn´t recognize the USB-Driver / Device unknown

During installation the System tell´s me " Driver is found for device, but error during installation"

shows a Pic of a serial port, with name "Arduino Uno"

"The device could not started (code10)"

Sory for me own translation if wrong.

Any help?

Is this a problem that just started, or something that has never worked yet?
There are two serial chips on boards now days (clones), the FT232r, and the CH340G. They need different drivers to communicate to the arduino clones.
The true arduino boards use the FT232R.

No they don't, not since 2010. Arduino LLC boards use ATMEGA16U2.

liudr:
No they don't, not since 2010. Arduino LLC boards use ATMEGA16U2.

I may be mistaken.

Am I confused by this info on

Automatic (Software) Reset
Rather then requiring a physical press of the reset button before an upload, the Arduino Nano is designed in a way that allows it to be reset by software running on a connected computer. One of the hardware flow control lines (DTR) of the FT232RL is connected to the reset line of the ATmega168 or ATmega328 via a 100 nanofarad capacitor.

Some Arduino boards use FT232 - Nano is one. Most use 16U2 programmed as USB/Serial adapter.

Clones & Derivatives may have other chips. FT232, CH430G, or others. What are the markings on the chip nearest the USB connector on the problem board?

(CH something - 430, 340, don't recall which it is)

That is correct, Arduino NANO uses FTDI but it was not designed by Arduino, but by someone else instead and they used to have 4-layer board designs. Somewhere along the line Arduino LLC has listed it with its own designs. This is different from Arduino MEGA, which was designed by sparkfun and later Arduino LLC just updated the design and started using MEGA2560 so it is considered official. The OP mentioned UNO. That uses ATMEGA16U2, not FTDI. BTW, sparkfun has its own Red board UNO equivalent. It uses no other than FTDI. I don't have one but I like the design. FTDI driver is more readily available and their board has no metal pins to short below the board.

I use FTDI in my designs, and often design the card for an onboard or an offboard module, so the board could be embedded in a project with or without a USB interface to a PC.
http://crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/