NO communications between Arduino and Linux Mint 18

Greetings,

I am using an Arduino Uno. I am using Linux Mint 18 and the stock Arduino IDE from the Repo. It is version 1.0.5. I did a complete update of everything on my machine using the command: apt update and apt dist-upgrade. That brought down all updates and the latest Kernel. My kernel version is 4.4.0-53.74.

With that update, I can no longer upload to my arduino. The error it gives me is: "processing.app.SerialNotFoundException: Serial port '/dev/ttyACM0' not found. Did you select the right one from the Tools > Serial Port menu? at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:191) at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:77) at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:77) at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:175) at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67) at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1671) at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1627) at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1599) at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2380) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)"

The Port selection is "Greyed" out also, so I am not able to select a port at all.

I don't know what to do. I did a search for this issue on this forum but didn't find anything remotely close to it. I think I put all the info down here, but if you need further info please drop me an email and I will furnish it for you. Thank you. @kd7sjt

Scroll down to the Please Read me portion. This will cover how to make /dev/ttyACM* work.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Linux

ls -l /dev/ttyACM0 ls: cannot access '/dev/ttyACM0': No such file or directory

This is what I get when I typed in what you recommended......

Plug the Uno into usb and then try:

“lsusb”

“dmesg”

My clone is /dev/ttyUSB0.

ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0 gives:

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Dec 9 20:31 /dev/ttyUSB0

You will still need:

sudo usermod -a -G dialout

I’m not seeing anything like that at all…
My Arduino isn’t showing up in the list of connected usb items at all.
I just did a fresh install too. Before I updated the Kernel, it worked.
After updating the Kernel, it stopped working.

I’ve tried uninstalling, the updated Kernel, I’ve even tried going to the 4.8 Kernel. Nothing has worked so far.

I also tried the commands you gave me earlier:

ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
ls: cannot access ‘/dev/ttyUSB0’: No such file or directory
ls -l /dev/ttyACM0
ls: cannot access ‘/dev/ttyACM0’: No such file or directory

and as you can see the results are grimm…

I did also type the command you recommended " sudo usermod -a -G dialout " with my username in the brackets.

It doesn’t tell me it did anything, but I’m assuming in this case that it won’t. Is that right?

I am very much still in need of help on this issue. I hope and pray there is someone that is way smarter than I that can help me solve this.

Thank you,

Earl

Nobody still answered? Your approach seems to be good also advices from kprims. You wrote it was working. Probably something wrong with your installation. I'm recommending go back to basics. Try Arduino on other computer. Try fresh OS installation or run it from the image, it is enough to test USB visibility.

I had the same issue with the repo version. Download the latest version from the download section and read the topic #4 and #5 here: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=439617.0

kd7sjt:
I did also type the command you recommended " sudo usermod -a -G dialout " with my username in the brackets.

It doesn’t tell me it did anything, but I’m assuming in this case that it won’t. Is that right?

Yes.

"groups " ,should show what groups you belong to, with dialout being one of them now.

It looks like you can make this work by following what Danois90 has posted.

I am still interested in why the serial ports are not showing up on the older Arduino Ide. Just guessing makes me wonder if interface driver cdc_acm is not being loaded when you plug in your Uno. Inputting “lsmod” after plugging the Uno in would give us a clue as well as the output from the last messages from “dmesg”.

“dmesg” Last 4 lines.

56.291131] usb 7-3: Manufacturer: Arduino (www.arduino.cc)
[ 56.291137] usb 7-3: SerialNumber: 55438303539351516131
[ 56.328224] cdc_acm 7-3:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[ 56.329520] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
[ 56.329522] cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters

“lsmod” First line.

Module Size Used by
cdc_acm 36864 0

Good luck.

"I had the same issue with the repo version. Download the latest version from the download section and read the topic #4 and #5 here: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=439617.0"

So I followed this tip and upgraded the "Boards" to 1.6.15 which is the latest update and restarted the computer.

I reopened to the software only to see "Ports" greyed out still and not selectable.

What version of arduino are you using? I do not mean the boards version but the arduino UI (look in the title bar)..

I am currently using 1.6.13

To my knowledge, that is their newest version.

If you connect your arduino to an usb port and in a terminal execute the command "lsusb", is the arduino listed? Does the lights in the arduino light up?

Yes, the lights do light up.

No, the arduino does not show up with it plugged in and executing: lsusb.

This is the strangest problem I've ever had with arduino. This is a fresh install of Linux Mint 18 also.

If it does not show up using lsusb, it is not an issue with the arduino software. Have you tried another USB port? Do you have the package “brltty” installed (search in synaptic)? If yes, try to remove it…

I have tried several ports on my machine. All give the same result.

I will look for brltty and uninstall if necessary and try again. Results to come soon.....

Ok, so I did find brltty installed and successfully uninstalled it, rebooted my machine and ports is still greyed out.

I'm pretty much out of suggestions. I know that it works on my laptop running Debian Jessie and I know that it works on my desktop running Linux Mint 17.3 - both 64 bit versions. If you can, I'd suggest you to create a Debian live media (CD / Thumb drive) and boot into that and run the lsusb command to se if arduino is detectable. If it is, then the issue most likely is related to Mint 18 - you may benefit from asking in the mint forums since others may have a sollution there.

I will do that. Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.