No connection on GSM SIM900a Shield

Hello,

I bought a GSM shield from Jaycar,

http://www.jaycar.com.au/gprs-gsm-shield-for-arduino/p/XC4221

I connected it by a 5v external power as require, and have already insert the sim card.

After that, I turn the shield on but the netlight blink rapidly instead of every 3 seconds, which mean it cannot connect to the network.

How would I fix that?

THANKS!!!!!

The Sim900 works on 2G, 850,900,1800,1900 MHz; does you sim card/provider allow that; not all providers will allow you to use such a device on their network.

Also, confirm its a Sim900 chip, not the Sim900A as your title says ; the Sim900A is restricted to certain far east regions only.

A new firmware will allow the 900A to work in europe.

knut_ny:
A new firmware will allow the 900A to work in europe.

How would I do the firmware update and how the connection between the board will be?

ricky101:
The Sim900 works on 2G, 850,900,1800,1900 MHz; does you sim card/provider allow that; not all providers will allow you to use such a device on their network.

Also, confirm its a Sim900 chip, not the Sim900A as your title says ; the Sim900A is restricted to certain far east regions only.

I am living in Newcastle in Australia where it is the east of Australia, would the sim900a work in this region?

what network are you using? I have a sim900 working in Australia. I'll have to check when I get home if it was a sim900A though.

acitta:
what network are you using? I have a sim900 working in Australia. I'll have to check when I get home if it was a sim900A though.

Telstra

thanks!!!

You seem to be confusing us - the link for the Shield you show clearly has a Sim 900 chip on it, yet you now say you have a Sim900A - which is correct ?

I have not ( so far) seen any Arduino Shields with the Sim900A chip; The 900A is typically sold as a Module.

If you do have the 900A then down in this link shows the list of countries it is locked to; which does not include Oz.
http://www.blog.zapro.dk/

If you follow the links that thread shows, it is possible to reprogram a 900A module with the 900 firmware, but you will need a PC to Sim900a serial interface.

Quickly looking at those links, seems many sites are now downgrading their Sim900/A info as the newer Sim800 range has taken over, so you might have to search for similar sites still showing how to reprogram.
I have reprogrammed a 900A module, though I had the working arduino code and a 900 board to test the reprogrammed 900A against; could be difficult is you have neither.

It might simply be easier to buy a new Sim900 board /module or the newer Sim800

Yeah I'm with Telstra (through Aldi mobile) and it works. However Telstra are cutting there 2G network in December this year so your module wont work with them. Vodafone haven't announced when they'll take down their 2G network but their cheapest plan is $30 a month so there are no good options really. You might be better off buying a 3G shield rather than another sim900 (2G). I think I'll have to take the plunge too