No Drivers are the best option accordin to Windows

First, Hello All! my first post :slight_smile: but to get to the point, Im running windows 7 (both x32(desktop) and x64(laptop)) and i cant for the life of me install drivers for my recently purchased Arduino Duelaminove 328. I even tried a computer running XP. All i seem to get is a message saying Unknown USB Device. When i try to install the drivers included with Arduino 0018, windows tells me that the wizard couldnt find a better match for my hardware than the software i currently have installed. I dont have anything installed and when i click on driver details it says "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device". When i try to force the install using the .inf file it tells me that "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware". ...ok fine, be difficult. So I downloaded CDM 2.06.00 WHQL Certified drivers from this site and went through the same process again. All of it! and still got nothing. Am I missing something? If i cant install this then i cant set a COM port, upload, or anything. its basically a paperweight. But i guess on a brighter note, when i plug it in via my USB cable, the "L" light blinks 4 times repeatedly, and with the protoshield in, my LED also blinks with it. so it does kinda work! (Yes im taking credit for writing the "code" to make it blink. My friends don't know the difference, so i seem smart to them :wink: ) But any help you can offer would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Have you tried a different USB cable/USB port?

It sounds like one of the data lines on the USB connections is not connecting.

Mowcius

USB Ports - yes. Cable - no. Never thought it could be the cable. It was new so i just assumed... NEVER Assume!! you know what they say... But i'll try a new cable once i get off work...

I recently upgraded to windows 7 and found that I had to download the FTDI drivers, thought it was strange because all my other computers I had never had to download the drivers.

Anyways try downloading ftdi drivers and see how you go.

USB Ports - yes. Cable - no. Never thought it could be the cable. It was new so i just assumed... NEVER Assume!! you know what they say... But i'll try a new cable once i get off work...

Well this is the most likely thing now I would say, or the USB port in the arduino.

If not either of them then it may be a connection on the board has gone or the FTDI chip has died. Power would still work fine but the data would not be working properly so the computers would not pick it up.

Ok, turns out it was the cable. I really feel silly now starting a thread for something so simple, but i seriously never considered that to be the problem. I thank you for your help and can't wait to start some projects!!!!

eh it happens, I would not think about the USB cable either

Ok, turns out it was the cable. I really feel silly now starting a thread for something so simple, but i seriously never considered that to be the problem. I thank you for your help and can't wait to start some projects!!!!

No worries, glad it works for you

Mowcius