No output from gps

el_supremo: @Puneet verma Have you run the Adafruit sketch here: https://raw.github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-MTK3329-GPS-Module-Test-Sketch/master/Adafruit_MTK3329_GPS_Test.pde. It sets the GPS update rate and which sentences it will send. Perhaps if you haven't done this it won't do anything?

My GPS sends NMEA sentences even if it is not locked onto any satellites but I have already used the Adafruit sketch to set the update rate and select the sentences.

Pete

hey i want check my gps , whether its working properly or not .

is it not possible to check gps stand alone(without using arduino) by connecting power supply and the rx pin under scope/cro ?

hey i want check my gps , whether its working properly or not .

is it not possible to check gps stand alone(without using arduino) by connecting power supply and the rx pin under scope/cro ?

see reply #13

tested in scope my hardware is fine. i am getting output.

el_supremo: @Puneet verma Have you run the Adafruit sketch here: https://raw.github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-MTK3329-GPS-Module-Test-Sketch/master/Adafruit_MTK3329_GPS_Test.pde. It sets the GPS update rate and which sentences it will send. Perhaps if you haven't done this it won't do anything?

My GPS sends NMEA sentences even if it is not locked onto any satellites but I have already used the Adafruit sketch to set the update rate and select the sentences.

Pete

I compiled your program code i am getting output as

ÿÿïÿÿÿÿoÿÿÿÿïÿ

That looks like a problem with the baud rate. My code sets both baud rates to 9600. Check that your Serial Monitor is set to 9600. If the Serial Monitor speed is correct, then somehow perhaps the default baud rate on your GPS has been changed. Try changing gpsSerial.begin(9600) to gpsSerial.begin(4800).

Pete

el_supremo: That looks like a problem with the baud rate. My code sets both baud rates to 9600. Check that your Serial Monitor is set to 9600. If the Serial Monitor speed is correct, then somehow perhaps the default baud rate on your GPS has been changed. Try changing gpsSerial.begin(9600) to gpsSerial.begin(4800).

Pete

what is the output of your program ?

$PGTOP,11,2*6E
$GPGGA,193233.000,,,,,0,7,,,M,,M,,*46
$GPRMC,193233.000,V,,,,,0.55,0.00,060313,,,N*43
$PGTOP,11,2*6E
$GPGGA,193234.000,,,,,0,7,,,M,,M,,*41
$GPRMC,193234.000,V,,,,,0.58,0.00,060313,,,N*49

This is when I first turn the GPS on and it hasn't yet locked on to the satellites. It will show lat/long etc. once it locks on.

Pete

Finally its working !!!

thanks friends for your helps.

Now i want to learn about NMEA sentences , please give me some good tutorial links .

Now i want to learn about NMEA sentences , please give me some good tutorial links .

Why? Has google failed you completely? This isn't the "do my research for me" forum.

Finally its working !

Sharing your solution might help others.

PaulS: Why? Has google failed you completely? This isn't the "do my research for me" forum.

no doubt, Google is always a best friend.

But here we have people, who are expertize in various domain.

they can help me ,more than google.

AWOL: Sharing your solution might help others.

first fault :My gps works at voltage from 3 to 4.2v . So i have used arduino 3v3 pin,but their is something wrong with my arduino pin 3v3 ,voltage in this pin is highly unstable. It may go below the threshold. solution : I adopted external power source .

Second fault :This is baud rate mismatch. solution: after some hit and trial ,i found the right one. (both baud rate 9600 )

third fault (very basic ) :as i have chosen external power source , i forget to common both ground ,one from arduino & one from external power source.

something wrong with my arduino pin 3v3 ,voltage in this pin is highly unstable.
It may go below the threshold.

There is nothing wrong with the 3.3V pin on the Arduino. The problem is that you are trying to draw more current than it can provide.

Mmmmm. I seem to have the same issue with my GPS shield, I've tried syncing the baud rates, but I only get one line of data. It always gives the same nonsense at the end of the line and quits send more data. If I try different baud rates will will just give the nonsend data alone.

$GPGSA,A,3,07,19,03,08,28,11,23,01,,,,,2.33,1.03,úÿþÿÿÿþ

Have you determined whether that is being caused between the GPS and the Ardiuno, or between the Arduino and the serial monitor ? What sort of Arduino do you have, and which code are you using ?

v-tek:
Mmmmm. I seem to have the same issue with my GPS shield, I’ve tried syncing the baud rates, but I only get one line of data.
It always gives the same nonsense at the end of the line and quits send more data.
If I try different baud rates will will just give the nonsend data alone.

$GPGSA,A,3,07,19,03,08,28,11,23,01,2.33,1.03,úÿþÿÿÿþ

Part of that looks like a coding issue - this: ÿ looks like a representation of char 255, which is what you get if you try to read the serial port when there is nothing there.

I'm using a Uno. I've tried different buad rates and even set it differently in the code. 9600 is the only one which gives me the full line of data, but then stops. I've been using the GPS examples which come with the monitor.

Time to post or attach your code then. Please use code tags (# button) if you post it inline.

I got it to work by kicking up the baud rate on the monitor to 11520. Now I can actually see the serialized data correctly.