No "port" can be selected

Dear all,

I recently bought a starter pack to refresh a little of my programming skills and of course have some fun.

After unpacking I tried to connect the device to my laptop, thats where my trouble started - in short, I can't select any port in the IDE(? - the software Arduino 1.8.9).

Operating System: Windows 10 x64
Board: Arduino Uno(?) ; on the processor (?) written --> Atmel Mega 16 U2
Driver: Windows recognized the driver, though I also manually installed the driver.

After downloading and installing the software I tried to adjust the port to upload the first test program. But the field to choose the port is grey ..

I would appreciate some help, I don't know which Infos you may need to help, so I'll stop here and wait :slight_smile:

Best
Fabian

OFFICIAL starter kit or CLONE ?

If its a clone there is a good chance you need an additional driver CH340/341 or CP2102

You may have to install with administrator privileges or lower Win 10 driver enforcement.

Bob.

An original I assume. I attached a picture for you to confirm that.

Certainly looks like an original.

Does DEVICE MANAGER see it and identify it correctly ?
A few issues have been mentioned with 1.8.9 IDE so possibly worth rolling back to a prior version or just rolling back the AVR core under board manager in the IDE.

Also avoid USB 3.0 ports as they have in the past caused some issues. USB 2.0 ports / cables are preferred.

Bob.

I think the device manager does identify it correctly. I attached 2 pictures for that.

Also, I installed a prior version (1. 8 . 8) and attached it to a USB 2.0 - actually I tested all of my USB ports).

Same problem, I can’t choose any port - I attached a picture for that as well.

If you feel more comfortable there are other language selections at the bottom of the main lists.

Whilst it seems to identify correctly it does not seem to be showing in the COM & LPT ports selection.
In some win 10 installations that can be hidden and you would enable it from the "Show hidden devices" option in device manager. Then expand the COM & LPT section.

I now enabled the option to see hidden devices. Still, there is no such entry as COM&LTP. I thought there is no real distinction between USB and COM&LTP. Is it possible that my laptop simply doens't "have" it?

You say that the board is a UNO. Why is board selected a Mega ADK

This was just the default after installation. I changed it to the UNO now, still no change..

It looks to me as if the firmware is missing from the ATmega16U2. I would recommend contacting whoever you bought the board from for a replacement.

Yup, a batch of official boards recently went out with the 16u2's unprogrammed. You either return for replacement, or use FLIP to upload the 16u2 firmware.

Thanks for the answer, well why not try it first on my own?
Alright I already downloaded FLIP from microship.com.

I assume now I need the firmware to upload. Can you provide me with a short explanation on how to do that?

xhorstix:
well why not try it first on my own?

Great attitude! It might well take less time to fix the board than it does to deal with the customer service and you'll actually learn a valuable skill along the way. I know I'd much rather be spending my time playing around with microcontrollers than talking to customer service! Plus, fixing it means you have a working board right away instead of waiting on a replacement.

xhorstix:
I assume now I need the firmware to upload. Can you provide me with a short explanation on how to do that?

I'll admit that I've never done this via Atmel FLIP before. I have so much experience with using ISP programmers that I've found it easier to just use my programmer to flash the firmware to the ATmega16U2 than using FLIP. However, FLIP is very convenient and I'm sure it works just fine.

There is a tutorial here:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2
My understanding is that the hack with soldering the resistor described in that tutorial is no longer necessary.

The firmware is here:
https://github.com/arduino/ArduinoCore-avr/raw/master/firmwares/atmegaxxu2/Arduino-COMBINED-dfu-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3.hex

If you get stuck or have questions, please let us know. If I can't answer it, I'm sure someone else here can.

Thanks for the explanation so far!

I reset the board like explained via a wire and hear the "disconnecting" and "connecting" sound from windows while doing so.

Then the issue appeared while trying to upload the firmware via FLIP: it throws an error saying "Cannot open file" .. should I try to reinstall a different FLIP version?

EDIT: I found the solution for that problem. That was a little tricky but kinda funny. Since I work on a german keyboard, I use 29 letters and not the usual 26 basics. In my surname there is one of those letters and since I put the File on the desktop, the path included one as well. FLIP can't handle that.. I copied it onto C-Harddrive. Now it works..

And to provide final intel: After using FLIP --> I can now choose a port :smiley:

Thanks a lot!

Yeah! Nice work. Thanks for taking the time to post an update. Enjoy.

Sadly I was to fast saying it worked..

Now that I thought that everything worked, I tried uploading the first exmaple "Blink".
An error appeared:

Arduino: 1.8.8 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 930 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
Problem uploading to board. See Arduino Help Center for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

After pressing the "Upload" Button, the Rx LED blinks 3 times, then after ~ 25 seconds this error appears.

@pert the .hex you linked on the previous page didn't work, because FLIP threw an error saying "address out of range" - I searched a little and downloaded "Arduino-usbserial-uno.hex". Is it possible I choose the wrong firmware?

This is the one I would use.

Arduino-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3.hex

Ah, I think I understand why. The "combined" firmware is the one you need when you are uploading via ICSP. That has the DFU and the USB to serial programs. But you don't want to use the "combined" for DFU via Flip because when you do the DFU, the DFU firmware component is already present.

Thanks for the answers. I uploaded the firmware you mentioned. Still the same error as above.

Maybe I still have some wrong configurations? Since the error says - programer is not responding - it may be that? I attached a picture for the options I can choose.

The help is much appreciated!

EDIT: Is it normal that besides the “ON” LED also the LED named “L” is on permanently? Might a problem be there?