Well, it’s about time i finished this project. Finally, have an 8x8 LED matrix to play around with and I become a fully-fledged member of the arduino community. Here are the details:
- It’s monocolor red
- controlled by two 74HC595 shift registers.
- It’s run off three pins from the arduino controlling the two shift registers.
- The code work is modified from the ASK manual by earthshine design.
Video and pictures (below the joule thief picture) Random Things I Tinker: What I've been doing
Everything is running fine; the only thing left is to refine the code for it to make changing the display pattern easier. If anyone wants me to list the code just ask for it and I will.
Improvements for next time: hook the anodes up to either a transistor or a P-FET, and ground to a darlington array. And make it bigger. Oh and use diffused LEDs (I had clear ones so I decided to use wax paper over the array to diffuse the light a little and make the image clearer).