Nodemcu wont connect to the Wifi while arduino is on.

I have taught myself to use nodemcu and Arduino watching tutorials and videos online. I am working on a project that is basically a smart extension board. I have a previous version of the same that works only when the wifi is working. I wanted to make it work online and offline as well so added an Arduino Uno. Now data is sent from nodemcu to Arduin and Arduino performs the required function. Arduino also has physical push buttons to turn on/off when connected /not connected to Wifi.
Now the problem I’m facing is, that nodemcu won’t connect to the wifi when Arduino is on. and sometimes even when both devices are powered os simultaneously. Similarly, I had to power off Arduino while uploading on nodemcu. (Only removing Rx and Tx cable didn’t work, had to power off Arduino as well)

Attached code for arduino and nodemcu

Arduino_offline_est_test1_15march.ino (3.15 KB)

esp_offline_test1_15march.ino (7.26 KB)

The word "power" appears there quite often. Perhaps you don't have enough of it.

Nick_Pyner:
The word "power" appears there quite often. Perhaps you don't have enough of it.

Agreed, i had a project that acted somewhat similar, but i wasn't using wifi. But at the end of testing and trying, it was that i didn't have enough power. I ended up providing each board its own separate power and worked great afterwards.

Do you have schematic or picture of how things are wired up, if i can find any of mine, ill try and post, but its a long shot since it was a few years ago.

cubangt:
Agreed, i had a project that acted somewhat similar, but i wasn't using wifi. But at the end of testing and trying, it was that i didn't have enough power. I ended up providing each board its own separate power and worked great afterwards.

Do you have schematic or picture of how things are wired up, if i can find any of mine, ill try and post, but its a long shot since it was a few years ago.

Thank you. I was using a phone charger which had two usb outputs. One of them is powering Arduino and other powering the nodemcu. Arduino is again powering 4 channel relay.
Do you have any suggestion on how to power them. Is charger a good idea, or shall I use some other module?

I have never heard of using a double phone charger, but it doesn't actually sound such a bad idea. It would still depend on what's available and what the relays are switching. You should also check that the grounds are all connected. I imagine there is 2A available at each socket.

If its one of those multi-usb port type, you have to read the power specs for each of the USB ports, the ones i have list 2 different power specs for each port, So i would check that first, if you can, you can always get dedicated usb power supply for each board. But ive also used a dedicated power supply to power all my devices for a project.

Ive used something similar to this one:

And ive used this style power supplies for individual boards as well

cubangt:
If its one of those multi-usb port type, you have to read the power specs for each of the USB ports, the ones i have list 2 different power specs for each port, So i would check that first, if you can, you can always get dedicated usb power supply for each board. But ive also used a dedicated power supply to power all my devices for a project.

cubangt:

Thank you so much for the help. Will rectify the power problem soon! Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.