Nodular System of lights

The idea is simple: Use an arduino and a system of lighted nodes to control mood lighting. This could be expanded to control larger lighted systems, with the hope that a user would just need to add a unit and give it a unique id with a dip switch/keypad. In the future, a computer would be added to the loop, and for now control via code... or something. 'cause arduino is cool like that.

I'm looking for suggestions on hardware and general coding direction. My initial thought is linked lists.

Nodular System of lights

This system would be for everything ranging from mood lighting in a room, to lighting at a concert or event, with the ability to be hooked and controlled by the computer. For now, however, I'm content with having the arduino control it by itself.

The nodes: Each node would have an input, and two (or more) outputs. This would be determined by the ability of the controller to control them, and I'm not sure of the limits.

It would have either a hardwired unique id, or a place where the id could be changed via a keypad/DIP switch. This id would be sent back to the controller when asked, along with it's classification.

Classification of nodes: Each node would either (for now) run LEDs (RGB along with white) or a regular light bulb with proper power switches.

Power: Each unit would be able to be powered individually. This would enable the units to be far away from the main unit, with only control runs or wireless communication.

edit:

For any kind of projects that already do that, links would be wonderful! I've looked around, but I'm not sure what to search for.

What i would do is to make a base unit that could be connected to other base units either with wireless or with rs485 cabled bus.

Then i would create a number of add on modules with the required components to solve each of the needed tasks.

A module with a relay for ordinary ligths (could be with a dimmer) or even DMX.

A module for controlling LED lights.

etc etc