NOOB building LED cube 8x8x8 questions.

Hello everyone,
I am new working with Arduino and to this website. I am currently talking computer programming in college, and one of our classes is revolved around Arduino, and open source coding. Our final project is anything we can choice, and after lots of messing around i decided that I would like to build a LED cube 8x8x8. I am well aware it is a daunting task, and requires multiplexing, blah blah blah, I will learn it all. I have a few questions about the actually materials needed to build the cube, and some good advice will be greatly appreciated. I found a list of requirements needed for building the actual cube, do i absolutely need all of these parts? Instead of prototype PCB boards, could i simply use larger breadboards? so its a little less permanent until I am a little more comfortable with all of this? Also what type of resistors am I required to get, I know i need 64 of them but what kind? I am going to be using green LEDs 3mm. Also while I am building is their any way I can get help if I run into any problems? Sorry if i posted this in the wrong section. Thanks for the help.

arduino part list.xls (24 KB)

Also what voltage type should all my resistors and capacitors be?

BIGRABBIT:
do i absolutely need all of these parts?

Seeing as a list of parts is only part of the story (The rest being a schematic), I can't say aside from that you will need LEDs and resistors.

Instead of prototype PCB boards, could i simply use larger breadboards? so its a little less permanent until I am a little more comfortable with all of this?

Yes.

Also what type of resistors am I required to get, I know i need 64 of them but what kind? I am going to be using green LEDs 3mm.

What "type" of resistors depends on what you mean by type.

You need one with enough resistance to to limit the current to where you want it. You need one with the power rating that is sufficient for the amount of power that needs to be dissipated. And you need a the package suited for how you are hooking them up.

Also while I am building is their any way I can get help if I run into any problems? Sorry if i posted this in the wrong section. Thanks for the help.

Isn't that why you posted on these forums to begin with? For help?

jameco sells a 4x4x4 Led cube. You can probably get some good info from that.

It has 64 Leds, yours has 512 Leds. You're gonna be spending a LOT of time soldering
that sucker up. Good luck.

See I don’t really know anything about what types and kinds of resistors I need, or how much power I am going to need as well, I am going to struggle through this whole process due mainly to the fact that I am very new at all of this. I have ordered LED’s off eBay 1000 of them, should be getting them soon. I know I have to solder a lot, but that’s fine.

If anyone can link me to a really good 8x8x8 cube tutorial, that would help too, quite a bit. (That is if there is something better then this one (http://www.instructables.com/id/Led-Cube-8x8x8/)

Am I going to have any problems running this size of a cube on this Arduino? or am i going to have to get a new one?

The so-called "learning curve" works wonders.

For a SINGLE Led, you can use a resistor of value 470 to 1000 ohms.

I would build a 2x2x2 cube first, and find out what all is involved before committing to anything larger [meaning spending
2 weeks soldering 1000 wires]. Good luck.

Here,:http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=8X8+LED+Cube&_sacat=0&_from=R40
There was another but I couldn’t find it. It (the missing one) came 512 blue rectangular blue LED’s and a jig to solder them up with… Basically all the parts.

Bob