Noob question about RX/TX and serial.read()

Hello i am glad to say i am a owner of a shiny new Ardunio Pro Micro (as per suggested on this forum). I am looking into serial.read and came across something i dont quite understand.

I have it set up in serial.read that it will read a string then send that to a computer via USB which works perfectly. However the string i want to receive will be on the RX/TX pins and then transmitted on the USB lead. How do i define the RX/TX pins as the serial port rather than the USB lead (or is the serial monitor just emulating the RX/TX ports when i use it)

So to break it down... "String" -> RX/TX -> Ardunio -> USB -> any other USB device.

On the Micro, the tx/rx pins are Serial1, not Serial.

Serial is the USB serial.

You can only go from the Arduino Micro's USB to a USB host device, like a computer, not "any other USB device".

Thanks. To be 100% sure (as i cant test till tomorrow) its Serial1.read() ?

And by any other USB device i just mean anything that accepts a keyboard input (e.g. PC, mac, Pi etc)

AceScottie:
And by any other USB device i just mean anything that accepts a keyboard input (e.g. PC, mac, Pi etc)

You would use Keyboard to appear as a keyboard to a device that will host a USB keyboard. You would use Serial to appear as a serial port to a device that will host a USB serial port.

Thanks. To be 100% sure (as i cant test till tomorrow) its Serial1.read() ?

And Serial1.available() and Serial1.print() and Serial1.println() and Serial1.write().