not a new hobby, but restoring an old one (like, circa 1995 hobby)

Back in the day, i did some hiking/camping. I even hiked about 100 miles of the Appalachian Trail, via Hurricane Island Outward Bound School.

several years ago, i acquired a hiking pack, a tent, a backpacking stove, and a few other things (that i have to find again). i still need to buy a sleeping bag, water filter, hiking cook-set, and some other stuff i have tagged on my Amazon wish list. nothing expensive really. i even just found my old GPS from years ago (Magellan Meridian Platinum). (thought it was dead, but it still works :o :slight_smile: )

my thinking is, by regulating my diet, i have lost a few pounds, so i am at least under 300 pounds (not by much :wink: ). but i NEED a more active hobby to help burn off the pounds. I can even integrate some of my hobbies, like my photography, and possible astronomy, if the trail is safe enough to not have to worry about falling and crushing my camera or telescope. though the telescope may not be very practical, for hiking... (bulky and heavy)

not sure if i can handle being off-grid (or the hiking itself :o ), but i think i should give it a good go, come spring. it would probably be more fun if i had somebody to hike with, for the sake of conversation, but as i have no friends here (in Maine), that ain't happening :wink:

I wish there was a way to use an arduino project to take with me, but with my camera, lights, GPS, and so on, i think i will have enough batteries to carry around. so now, i just have to keep the hobby alive, so i can follow through with my plans, and lose some weight. :smiley:

as a point of amusement, while looking up gear, i found THIS on eBay. you know your "roughing it" when you take your K-Cup pods along with you. :wink: :smiley:

~Travis

Probably not much application for Arduino in backpacking. The only thing I can come up with is a bearbag alarm. Maybe a super loud alarm would scare off a bear that is getting to your bearbag? You could figure out some way to disable the thing so you don't disturb the peace of the wilderness when you retrieve your bag the next morning, maybe a wireless fob? I think people are moving to the bear cans nowadays because the darn bears are so good at getting the bags and there isn't always a suitable place to hang one.

Even if you can't use your Arduino skills, there is a lot of opportunity for "hacking" your backpacking gear, especially if you're getting into going lightweight. I through hiked the Pacific Crest Trail in 2005 with much of my gear (tent, sleeping bag, stove, cookpot, stuff sacks) all homemade. Just about every bit of commercial gear was modified in some way to make it more light weight. They love to add some unnecessary features to those products to make them "better" than the competition.

When you're hiking 2700 miles every gram counts! Even for a short trip it still makes a huge difference not having to lug a heavy pack or maybe could make it more feasible to add the extra weight/bulk of your telescope. I used to have the philosophy that every bit of backpacking gear should be ultra heavy duty and also brought along a lot of excess stuff. An 800 mile hike with a ridiculously heavy pack in 2004 made me see the light. I knew I was in trouble when I wore myself out just walking across town to the highway so I could hitchhike out to the trailhead to start the trip!

Spruce Knob is apparently one of the darkest places the east coast... camping astronomy and photography all in one.