"not defined in scope" error and Serial LCD / Libraries

Sorry for the newb question - I am able to get my serial LCD to work fine using the example code, and was able to combine with the LED Dim example, using the LCD to display the POT position and LED output, and a few other things.

Now I am looking to use a basic servo - using the Servo “Knob” code - this worked fine but the Servo was very jerky and I would like to use the LCD to tell me what is going on.

I have included the SoftwareSerial.H Lib (included by using the “Sketch/ImportLibrary” tool) - and as best as I can tell have the same set up as was used in my first LCD sketch and edits as well as the LED dimming - but now I keep getting “Not Defined In Scope error " 'clearDisplay” and ‘setLCDCursor’ Not Defined In Scope error - both in the Setup and main Loop. I understand these may be in an LCD Library - but I did not have to include these before -

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

// Controlling a servo position using a potentiometer (variable resistor) 
// by Michal Rinott <http://people.interaction-ivrea.it/m.rinott> 

#include <Servo.h>
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

Servo myservo;  // create servo object to control a servo
SoftwareSerial lcd(2, 3);  // This is required, to start an instance of an LCD

int potpin = 0;  // analog pin used to connect the potentiometer
int val;    // variable to read the value from the analog pin 

void setup() 
{ 
  myservo.attach(9);  // attaches the servo on pin 9 to the servo object 
  lcd.begin(9600);  // Start the LCD at 9600 baud
  clearDisplay();

} 

void loop() 
{ 
  val = analogRead(potpin);   // reads the value of the potentiometer (value between 0 and 1023) 
  clearDisplay();
  setLCDCursor(0);
  lcd.print(val);

.....rest of code truncated.....

Error Log
Pot_to_Servo_Disp_072313.ino: In function ‘void setup()’:
Pot_to_Servo_Disp_072313:19: error: ‘clearDisplay’ was not declared in this scope
Pot_to_Servo_Disp_072313.ino: In function ‘void loop()’:
Pot_to_Servo_Disp_072313:26: error: ‘clearDisplay’ was not declared in this scope
Pot_to_Servo_Disp_072313:27: error: ‘setLCDCursor’ was not declared in this scope

What then has me baffled - is why then does the “lcd.print(val);” not get the same error -

You defined lcd:

SoftwareSerial lcd(2, 3);

and the SoftwareSerial object has a .print() method so that explains why you don't get an error on that.

Where are "clearDisplay()" and "setLCDCursor()" defined? Are they from a library that you didn't include?

Hello and thank you for the support ... I then had the usual aha then doh moment. I was thinking the clearDisplay and setLCDCursor were in a library, duh, in the little arduino window you do not automatically scroll down past the end of the main loop.....so I did not see these defined in the original examples.

Man am I rusty!