not running programs

Hello all,

I am new to arduino and trying to run a simple led flasher to test my setup. the program seems to be sent to the board correctly and the settings appear correct for my board type (diecimila). the TX/RX lights flash during the transfer. once complete and after restarting the LED on the board is not flashing, sometimes after pressing reset, the LED will come on but is continuous. I see that an LED on pin 13 should blink once after resetting if the board has a diecimila bootloader and 3 times if NG bootloader. mine blinks twice.

does anybody have suggestions for what could be wrong?

this is the test code I am using -

int ledPin = 13;                 // LED connected to digital pin 13

void setup()
{
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);      // sets the digital pin as output
}

void loop()
{
  digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);   // sets the LED on
  delay(1000);                  // waits for a second
  digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);    // sets the LED off
  delay(1000);                  // waits for a second
}

What happens if you upload a different program? Try the Communication > ASCII Table example and see if you can see data coming from the board using the serial monitor.

I loaded the ASCII table program and there were no problems reported by the software but I do not see any text with the serial monitor. Now the LED on pin 13 flashes only once after resetting.

What do you have selected in the Tools > Board menu?

The diecimila board type is selected in the tools menu. Could this be a damaged board or chip?

I have received a second, identical board which when using the previous test works correctly.

You might try swapping the chips between the two boards to try to see if it's the board or the chip.

Somehow I've started to experience a similar behavior on a known-good diecimila board. The sketch I uploaded this morning is still working every time, but although it seems to go through the normal set of flashing lights on upload (and there is no error on the Arduino IDE on upload) it continues to run the old sketch only(uploading any example does the same).

It looks as if the flash memory on the ATmega is not writable anymore.

Is this a common problem? Anybody has a clue on how to fix it? I was in the middle of something but now I cannot continue.

Thanks,

Miguel

It seems my problem was due to a damaged bootloader. After restoring the bootloader all returned to normal. I used uisp and a parallel port programmer to do that. I'm glad I've created a copy of the ATmega memory when I built the parallel programmer.

My diecimila is, again, running any new sketch I upload to it.

Cheers,

Miguel