Not sure how to wire this up without blowing up my arduino...

Hi all,

I've got a DC motor driving a ACME screw that moves a lever. The joint of the lever has a pot on it for position feedback. I decided to use a TLE 5206 Motor Driver to control the motor from the Arduino. I like the fact that you can send pulses to the TLE 5206 to control the motor's speed.

Anyway, the motor is 12-24V, 3A peak, so obviously I need external power (I'm using a 4 cell LiPoly battery for power). But I'm not sure how to wire it. the TLE 5206 only has one Vs and one GND, so I guess I put the LiPoly positive to Vs, but what about the ground? Does the Arduino have to be powered off the battery too and they then have a common ground? I was planning to power the Arduino separately because the battery is around 14V, and I don't want to cook the voltage regulator on the Arduino board. How do I do this? Thanks!

Your link doesn't work so I can't be certain, but the usual thing would be to power the Arduino separately and connect the Arduino ground to the motor driver ground so they have a common point of reference.

...R

I think I fixed the link, but I'm not sure.

So you can mix grounds? If I have 5V going into the Arduino from a wall outlet DC converter to power it, and a 20V DC power supply from a battery to the motor driver, I can cross grounds? Ground to the wall outlet crossed with ground to the battery? Isn't that like crossing the streams? Total plutonic reversal? lol

Here's the datasheet: http://inside.mines.edu/~whoff/courses/EENG383/reference/H-bridge.pdf

mixing the grounds of the arduino and the higher power ground is OK, the there are some h bridge modules with l298n with GND input (use to drive the loads) are in common to the arduino GND and the módule use 7805 to regulate power to arduino from the positive suply. so dont horry, but be sure is the ground wire, otherwise you blow up the arduino

Connecting the ground of two batteries, or one battery and one mains supply, is fine. Connecting the grounds of two mains supplies can be tricky, because they may already be connected to mains ground.

It may be completely safe to power your Arduino from the 14V battery - it all depends on the total current you are drawing from the 5V pin and the Arduino output pins.