Not sure what boards I need? & other questions

Hello everyone.

Short intro, as this is my first post: First off, I'm new to Arduino and though I have done some digging here, I still lack the confidence to just do it, rather than bothering you here. I hope I'm not too much of a bother. As you can probably see from my writing, english is not my native language (sorry) and it kind of makes it a bit harder to understand all the techie talk here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a complete newbie in electronics; I'm currently studying in the ICT-industry, so I do have decent knowledge of the topic here.

Instead of putting up all the questions about my project here, I'll just ask the one that keeps me from finding the answers myself:

What boards do I need in order to control the Arduino project over the internet, from a website or an application? Here is an example to clarify this matter:

• So, I have an an arduino board programmed to switch a LED on and off. Then I have this neat website I made, which has one button to click, which would turn the LED on and off. The arduino would be a stand-alone "device", so that it would have it's power source only, and so that it would be connected to the internet. Nothing else needs to be done to turn the LED on or off, than to visit the website and click the button.

I hope this example clarified this question, rather than clouding it up even more.

I'm guessing I do need the Arduino Ethernet Shield at least, but what about the other board(s)? Arduino Pro, Arduino Uno? Which one is best, or should I say the most cost-effective, since quality usually comes with a price.

For those who are kind enough to answer my question, I thank you in advance. I'd also like to hear tips, warnings, or anything that could help me during my project.

Sincerely, iDroid.

Most shields are designed for the uno, so that would make sense to get if you are getting an ethernet shield a pro or mini would only come in handy if you trying for a small footprint and were using an ethernet module instead of a shield

Welcome! You can't go far wrong with an Uno. It's as good as any for a first board, and will always be useful even if you move on to prefer other types. These things are like potato chips, you can't have just one. The Ethernet shield will fit the Uno nicely. Jump in with both feet and have some fun!

Thank you for your answers, I will probably come up with new questions once I have ordered the boards and experimented with them a bit.

In fact, I do have one know;

With Arduino Uno and the Arduino Ethernet Shield, how do I actually control the component, say the LED, via the internet? I'm not asking you to provide me any code or that sort of stuff, that would make you doing the project for me. I would just kindly ask for a "in a nutshell" explanation, if I may.

Thanks again, iDroid.

Exactly as you described! The Arduino with the Ethernet shield works as a web server, serving up a page that allows the user to control the LED from his browser. Simple HTML forms stuff.

You can find a complete example at this Ethershield library site. At the bottom of the page there's an example that does exactly a "switch on and off a LED" type of task.

If you're unfamiliar with TCP and also HTTP (and it appears you are) this is going to be a bit of a learning curve for you.

Chagrin: You can find a complete example at this Ethershield library site. At the bottom of the page there's an example that does exactly a "switch on and off a LED" type of task.

If you're unfamiliar with TCP and also HTTP (and it appears you are) this is going to be a bit of a learning curve for you.

Thank you, this was more than helpful though I only read it quickly. I'm sure this will prove very useful when the time comes.

Yes, I have very little experience with TCP and HTTP, I only know what they are.