not uploading

I use both a Diecimila and a Mega. Everything has been working fine until today, whenI got the error message below:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I tried upload the basic Blink to both boards using both the 21 and 18 IDE.

Any ideas?

Search the forum for your errors. Plenty of suggestions and ideas in other threads.

Switched COM ports and everything works fine. I don’t understand why that port stopped working.

I don't understand why that port stopped working.

Did the port stop working or did it move. On some PC operating system you get a different COM port number if you plug it into a different USP port. This can also happen if another device is on the bus taking up the normal COM port assigned to your arduino.

Did the port stop working or did it move. On some PC operating system you get a different COM port number if you plug it into a different USP port. This can also happen if another device is on the bus taking up the normal COM port assigned to your arduino.

My best guess is that it moved. I unplugged everything that was using any ports at the time....including my wireless mouse. I then just moved the Arduino's USB one USB port over, and it works fine now.

To be honest, I am studying control systems, so anything with COMM just blows my mind.

Thanks for your help, - J