Not using bootloader

I was wondering if "upload using a programmer" removes the bootloader, leaving the fuses intact. I am using an Arduino Uno as the programmer.

If not, how do you remove the bootloader to avoid delays in start up?

Thanks in advance.

I was wondering if "upload using a programmer" removes the bootloader, leaving the fuses intact

Yes. In fact, it will currently leave the fuses incorrect, if you use it on a chip that used to have a bootloader (it doesn't unset the "boot to bootloader space" fuse.) It's more intended for chips that never had a bootloader, and had their fuses carefully set to the appropriate values by some other mechanism.

(Note that a modern Optiboot bootloader includes the equivalent of the "Adafruit fast start" modification, which means the sketch starts immediately after poweron, and only incurs a (smallish, ~1s) delay after a manual reset. Theoretically, anyway.) non-optiboot platforms may behave differently.

westfw:
Yes. In fact, it will currently leave the fuses incorrect, if you use it on a chip that used to have a bootloader (it doesn't unset the "boot to bootloader space" fuse.) It's more intended for chips that never had a bootloader, and had their fuses carefully set to the appropriate values by some other mechanism.

Oh. I have a mini pro. I installed a bootloader via the Arduino Uno. Then did "upload using a programmer". All seems to be working well. How can I tell if the fuses are ok?

In menu of preferences, turn on verbose mode on upload and see if you can pick out the fuse output from the ton of messages. High fuse is DE for arduino with optiboot bootloader, and DF is the bootloader is removed.

westfw:
Yes. In fact, it will currently leave the fuses incorrect, if you use it on a chip that used to have a bootloader (it doesn't unset the "boot to bootloader space" fuse.)

Note of course that this only matters if you need to load a program that is so extensive that it requires that last little piece of memory at the top where the bootloader resides and to where reset is directed.

A program which therefore could not load via the bootloader.